Worming

Catcha Whopper

Reaction score
After reading the thread about sluggin, can anyone give any pointers of how to catch worms? Made several attemps in my garden when its been raining and been dark a few hours, but never found one! Not one!

How many can you guys normally collect in an hour or so? Are the cricket pitches really that good?

Bob Bone 2

Reaction score
Go out when its dark and damp use a torch but you have to be quick. I normally go round the edges of the garden looking under rocks and features. Dont shine the light directly on them or there'll be gone. Soapy water is supposed to quite good but then you will have to grab em when they come up to the surface then wash them off.

It only takes 5-10 mins to collect enough for a fishing session especialy if you get big fat worms you can chop up into sections.

It always amazes me how quick they care.

D

david bruce 1

Tread lightly they feel the vibrations of your feet.

Waveney One

Reaction score
Mask your torch with a bit of red cellophane paper, that helps not to alarm them. Use a disposable rubber glove and take a bucket of sand to rub the slime off in. I put mine into a bucket of moss that I have raked from the lawn earlier. I find spring and autumn to be the best time and a still drizzly night better than a windy one.

Waveney One

Reaction score
Oh yes, I put my thumb on the worm nearest the hole to stop it going back down and then grab it with the other hand. Apply steady pressure rather than trying to pull the worm out. They stretch and then suddenly release their grip.

Stephen Williams 2

Reaction score
Been doing a lot of worming recently.

I use the local football pitch, as the slightly longer grass makes it easier to pick the worms up.

They have to come out of their holes a bit more/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif.

A little sand in your pocket also helps with "grip".

A bucket on a string around your neck also means you have two hands spare.

I'm getting around 100 a hour on a good night.

As has been said, warm damp nights are best.

They a flippin fast though, so dont hang around, and dont pull to hard, as they break quite easily.

Last trip out with worms, I bagged 6 Barbel/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Steve

www.caravanonthesevern.co.uk

DZ

Reaction score
Worming has a bizaar attraction to me.

Its a sportin its own right, onthe right night, and usually they lie splayed out with just the tip of their tail in the hole. Infact its like fishing- once you've made the strike or grab- clasp as much worm as possible- then the fight is on- pull GENTLY or you'll snap up- or just as bad- damage the worms innerds wich renders the lil chappy useless. As mentioned- wait for that moment when ya wormy tires momentarily- then take advantage.

One night, last september, was a bonanza- on a playing field I litterally got hundreds (kilos). Every now and then they come right out of their burrows and its total freeforall.

I still have worms from that night (they've even had babies!!) in a big wilkos starage tub - they get mashed potatoes once in a while/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif.

DZ

C

Cakey

your better off building a wormery..............................better than getting done for theft from the local cricket pitch and being out on cold damp nights !

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Once when out worming on the grassy central reservation of a local dual carriagewayI was spotted by the police helicopter which put it's big spotlight on me --shortly followed by a police car arriving on the scene ...........

When they saw what it was I was doing they let me continue ---but the light from the helicopter had made all the worms vanish back into their holes .....so I went home

Deanos

Reaction score
Brilliant Ed!

Collecting worms is jolly good fun isn't it!

When I was a little lad I had worms!.....I wish I had them now, I could make a fortune!

DZ

Reaction score
but Deanos- if you had worms know- you'd have to share you're pies with them. Is that good?