River Severn and Warks Avon

DZ

Reaction score
The flooding situation around Tewkesbury is bad. Its going to get worse.

I work at the EA- and although the models are showing some kind of peak - the foreccast for the next week is evil.

My poor old parents have just finished replastering the house and the water started coming in at 0800 this morning.

Whats this got to do with fishing? Not a great deal perhaps but might start a chat between those anglers that know the area so well.

What is the world coming to- or this little island anyway?

Sorry- had to vent my fears somewhere!

G

Gary Knowles

why is it always the severn around teweksbury / gloucester that seems to suffer the worst ?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"why is it always the severn around teweksbury / gloucester that seems to suffer the worst ? "

Its mainly because that is where the Avon joins the Severn (in Tewkesbury itself) so when the rivers are in flood the problem is doubled. The Avon has problems too because when the Severn is in flood the Avon is held back because it cant run off as quickly as it would normally, causing a build up. The lower Avon area is a massive flood plain anyway so really it is nature just doing its thing.

DZ

Reaction score
......its the narrow bit of a very very very big funnel. Then add the fact that the Severn is tidal up to Tewkesbury Weir.

The summer flooding could have been so much worse if there'd been a big spring tide running. Luckily then the tides were minimal. But one day....... Gloucester will really get it bad.

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

Doctor Foster.....

there's nothing new under the sun as they say.

E

EC

Gutted for your parents mate! I drove over the M5 on 'that Saturday' last summer, never seen owt like it!

Stephen Williams 2

Reaction score
Its a nightmare.

I have a few mates that live at Tewksbury, and I also run a syndicate on the river.

Its not as much of a problem as it is for the people who live there, who's houses get flooded, but we cant fish my bit at the moment as its right over the flood barrier.

Perfect Barbel conditions and unable to get close/forum/smilies/baring_teeth_smiley.gif

Steve