On-line security

Alan Crawley

Reaction score
I recently had a delivery of a small tackle order from Fishing Republic accompanied by paperwork which was perfect for credit card fraud and even identity theft.
It showed EVERY DETAIL of my card information-and yes, I do really mean EVERY DETAIL
Mastercard said this is completely out of order and to complain about it and check my account constantly for unknown transactions. This information could easily have become one of the items that are frequently lost in the post, with disastorous results.
Mastercard say it is wrong to show more than the last four digits of the number!!!
I would like to hear if other people have had the same thing happen.

The old Wurzel worrying-head is being overworked-life wasn't meant to be taken seriously, was it?

Reaction score
I had the same issue with the BBC!

The invoices for their magazines include all your card information. One was sent by mistake to a relative - wrong name but fortunately their address. I have drawn it to the attention of the beeb - fairly bluntly!

Alan Crawley

Reaction score
Sent them an Email early today and am awaiting a reply.
My cousin Muscles did point out that doing this has drawn this info to the attention of even more people.@%$&&*!!!

W

Wolfman Woody

"Sent them an Email early today and am awaiting a reply."

Don't hold your breath then. I'm still awaiting a reply from Glasgow Angling Centre from 4 months ago.

B

Bully

Alan - the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS), which has recently come into force,state quite clearly that any business who retains credit card information must do so in a safe and segregated way. If it is a Mastercard then they or your bank should warn the retailer in question. If they do not fix this they should have their rights to charge against credit cards removed by the card companies. The standards are very stringent.

Alan Crawley

Reaction score
Goldfish just put the responsibility on me to "Keep checking the account and report any strange transactions-then you will be protected"

John Shepherd

Reaction score
In October of last year I received a letter with my address printed on the envelope and when I opened it I realised it was not my name on but that of somebody else. The letter was from a T V sports subscription company thanking this person for his payment using his credit card stating all the details of his card even the expiry date. I contacted them by phone to explain what had happened but soon wished I hadn't because I got a frosty response for opening it. I then said sorry but you should not be sending out the full details of a credit card that could end up in the wrong hands and by the way I said according to the expiry date it expired in august. The operator said no it didn't according to my computer it expires in 2008 so seal it back up and send it back to us, and anyway I shouldn't be having this conversation with you and then hung up on me. I have returned at least 3 more letters to them but if I get any more they are going in the bin.

Alan Crawley

Reaction score
Mine had the security code on it !!!!!
What I would like to know is this their normal process? If anyone has any paperwork back from Fishing Republic could they check it out and let me know if this is normal, please.

The Monk

Reaction score
these people are breaking the law under the data protection act and as such as liable under neglegence if anythings goes wrong

Fishing Republic

Reaction score
Alan , contact me on 01709 724713 tomorrow during normal working hours ask for Alec or email me so i can get to the bottom of this matter.

B

Bully

Alan (and Fishing Republic) my post earlier refers to the standards ANY business must conform to if they transact any business using credit/debit cards.

FR - you are not alone in this, in fact many big businesses, let alone small retailers, are not compliant in this. I have been working on numerous projects, including many local councils who transact over the web and banks.

The very simple rule of thumb is, if you take details of a credit card as part of a transaction, then this data must be fully protected. This is now mandated by the PCI.

Sending this information back to an address of a purchaser does not afford protection.

The Monk

Reaction score
at least FR are trying to do something about it, all, credit to them for coming on here

Alan Crawley

Reaction score
Spoke to Alec at FR and he has investigated the problem and it was a one-off human error,and he has reminded all staff of the correct procedures.
No-one has replied to this thread with the same problem, therefore I am happy to accept this explanation, being, myself, almost human, and very capable of errors, as we all are.
He is now enquiring how my early email about this to them has not reached him yet.

The old Wurzel happy-head is back on!

JIMMY---PAAS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Woody. Will you e-mail me.Ref Glasgow Angling Centre.And Iassure you that I,ll get it sorted for you.

Jimmy

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Jimmy, are you with Glasgow Angling Centre ??