Reel advice

gazh

Reaction score
I'm new to carp fishing and need a llittle advice on reels please. I currently use a okuma baitrunner reels but have been offered some new daiwa emcast advanced airbail 6000 reels , which have no baitrunner on . Can these be used for carp fishing and do i adjust the drag knob to allow the line to run off spool if i get a run, any advice or tips much appreciated

thx in advance

tight lines all

gary

Carpless

Reaction score
Can't tell you if the reels are any better but yeah you can loosen the drag to alow line to run and then when you pick up put a finger on the spool to stop it spinning while you tighten the drag up. Really up to you though i prefer the convenience of baitrunners.

gazh

Reaction score
did a bit of googleing and found most people don't like these conversion kits, so i'm looking at other reels, any advice appreciated got a budget of around £170 -£200 for a pair of reels. i know i'm not going to get the best but want something thats going to last me for a while. I don't fish very big waters at moment but maybe in future

thanks again

R

RobD

You could get yourself three used SHimano 10000WTE's for that money mate, you'd not regret it /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Carpless

Reaction score
If you intend on fishing bigger waters then a decent pair of big pits won't come cheap. Maybe a aero GTE series reel from shimano. i know some people have had issues but they are decent reels within your price range and hold a fair bit of line. Have a look here and see what the other fishingmagic members think of different reels.

gazh

Reaction score
did you mean xte's ?? and where would i get them from robin ? you know someone /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Carpless

Reaction score
No i did mean gte. Look here there is a 10000 model for 99.99. The xte is here and is a little more at 105.00 with the only difference i can see being the gear ratio and the gte is slightly lighter. With a 10000 model you should have everything you need fishing both smaller and larger waters. Maybe the more experienced guys will be able to offer you further advice its just i've got 2 base model aero 6000 re's and not really had a problem with them. Saying that though they are the only decent reels i've had, though shimano are a reputable company.

gazh

Reaction score
POULT !! i was asking robin if he meant xtes mate not you ,read his post above, sounded like he might have some 2nd hand ones for sale thx for links

tom jackson

Reaction score
ive just had the shimano 8000c for christmas and it is brilliant for a 100 quid

Carpless

Reaction score
sorry gazh. but still my post applies. both are decent reels well worth a look at.

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

I wouldn't buy a second hand reel for any real money unless I was absolutely sure about the history of its usage and maintenance and knew the seller like my brother. In fact the seller would have to <u>be</u> my brother. And I don't have a brother....

PS. For that money then I think from what I've read that the Fox Stratos has now weathered the early 'Shimano-ista' storm of protest, albeit not without some minor criticisms. But on a price and bang for buck basis they've got to be the one in that bracket, despite my personal declared affection for Okumas and Mitchell Quartzes.

Mind you, not all unalloyed joy, see

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/1/UTN/26897/last/1/V/8/SP/

seems pretty level headed and fair.

The one thing I haven't read anywhere that I have been keeping a gentle eye out for is any report of a Stratos suffering mechanical or stress failure of any major gearing components. The heart of any reel, and it seems they got it right. Now, just got to wait for the '30' size float fishing version or equivalent to come out and Bob's your unfeasibly close relative, I'll have one !

tom jackson

Reaction score
have a look on ebay just spotted the fox stratos 10000e for 50 and its buy it now

gazh

Reaction score
hi all thx for all the advice, what do you think of the followingreels , 2 shimano 6010-7 + 6010 gt and spare spools loaded withdecent line too , i know they a little old but been told by a few friends very reliable and if can get at good price go for them , they in very good condition

thx

gaz

D

Dal (The merchant of Mennace & Don't mess with my

Shimanos for me all the way. I've had my 8010GT's for about 14 years, had them serviced once last year and are as sweet as a nut. By the way I also have 2 5010 Gt's, 2 5010's, 2 10000's and 2 spare 8010GT's, say no more!

R

RobD

Alright gazh,

Sorry mate I did mean xte's, my dodgey typing again..!! The 6010's you mention will also do a good job for you mate, with the right line and setup you'll get a good cast out of em, the 10000XTE's have been ace for me though.

Each to his own I know but I've bought plenty of second-hand reels and they've always been fine but it is worth asking plenty of questions about their age and whethere they've ever been serviced or not...

Be Lucky /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

gazh

Reaction score
Dal you got too many sell me some plz /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif