Worms

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Thinking about trying something a little different this coming spring by floater fishing worms and just wondered if anyone else has ever tried this on their own water?

Was thinking of either air injecting them or using a small cork ball to make them bouyant and fishing them on a long trace.

Can't see the carp in my local lake being able to resist them if i can get my presentation right as what could be more natural? The water in question is known as a floater water but can be heavily pressured at times so something a little different could make all the difference.

Anyone got any thoughts or know of any articles that may have been written on this subject before?

R

Roto Fryer 1

injecting air into things has been around for donkeys years

Lord Paul

Reaction score
I've heard of injecting air into them and then fishing the eorms popped up of the bottom - but never as a surface bait - is this what you are meaning?

TJD Notts

Reaction score
Roto/ Lord Paul

I did mean as a surface bait rather than popping it up off the bottom. Can't see any reason as to why it shouldn't work just so long as they are hooked correctly so i'll have a play around with some presentations and see what works.

I fish Makins every now and again and this is an easy floater water so i might have a bit of trial and error on there to see what works and what doesn't. I'll let youknow how i get on.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Worth a try - I'd think injecting them rather than cork - or you could suspend them just under the water away from the cork ball. Anyway take care when using a needle

tinca steve

Reaction score
I use the floating worm method when i'm after KOI & Grass carp.

I make a standard floater rig with a 6 ft tail.
You can hair rig them using the tail as the stop,on a knot-less hair rig with a standard length hair .
Put your needle through the worm from just under the saddle on the tail side through the worm at a 45 degree angle coming out the head end above the saddle. place upon it your hair ,pull the hair back and feed the tail of the worm through the loop. BINGO 1 hair rigged worm .You can also add other worms before the stop one.
I air inject only the tails.
Hope this helps.

C

Cakey

tiea hook on then putyour worm on get a twig about a foot long with leaves on and wrap the line through here and there

arrange so worm sits an inch under the twig

it works for me............................

TJD Notts

Reaction score
heres me thinking i'd thought of something new!!! Never seen anyone on my water trying it, they tend to stick to chum or pop ups.

Thanks for all your replies, i've got some new ideas to ponder.

Maxon

Reaction score
how would you inject air into a worm? thats rather confusing, wouldnt the air come out the way it came in?

tinca steve

Reaction score
spot on CAKEY ........ you can buy one use needles over the counter in bags of ten but i use them until they go to rusty to use anymore.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

DON'T use the same needle as you use for your 'fix'

Trisantona

Reaction score
Be VERY careful when using needles as if you inject an air bubble into your bloodstream it can kill you.!!!!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I can only reinforce what Trisantona has said....Be VERY VERY careful with the needle-otherwise it could be your last day fishing anywhere!!

I do loads of cooking and ALWAYS VERY careful with the knives BUT I always manage to cut myself because I lose consentration-its the law of averages I suppose but its mainly around trying to rush and the same can happen when injecting worms...youve just misssed a bite and want to get the bait back in the water quickly...............................!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

C

Cakey

thats why Id rather use a twig with a few leaves on it than to branch out in that direction

E

Evan NotMightyAtAll

I like the dangling from a twig idea, will give it a try when warmer.

Have done / do something similar with some success which is to cast a free lined worm or large sinking lump of crust over the top of some lilly pads, then gently reel back so there is just six inches or so of line dangling down from the edge of the pad with your hook and bait on the end of it. Works lovely, just watch the edge of the lilly pad for your bite indication ! tremble tremble, flutter BANG.....

It's my answer to the ban on floating baits on a local water. Which, fair play, hastoo many verdampte ducks, Canada Geese and stuff all over it. If you do try a surreptitious floating bait they just harry it to death, so I suppose the ban is a fair one.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
"...thats why Id rather use a twig with a few leaves on it than tobranch out in that direction..."/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Do'es that meanyou always 'stick' with that method !!!

Deanos

Reaction score
Another warning!

Just be careful when collecting twigs for the "carp twig rig". You might grab a carp stalking anglers arm by mistake as he hides in the bushes in his real tree camouflage suit, I would imagine he would not be bery happy as you wrap fishing line around his arm, then try to perform a throw to hurl him into the lake, some of these carp anglers are big lads you know...I think he would punch you on the nose and shout a lot!