How big would you say this fish was

bennygesserit

Reaction score
bennygesserit-albums-my-first-album-picture3143-carp-whiteacres.jpg

I got it from Whiteacres a couple of weeks ago , took me well over 20 minutes to land as it was foul hooked and huge , I reckon 15lb and I have weighed quite a few fish , but in the picture it looks about 3, is the only way to get some sense of the real dimension to hold the fish ? I would rather keep the fish in the net having seen a lot of evidence of fish which must have been dropped at some point.

cheers

dangermouse

Reaction score
Go for the classic shot of the fish in the net with the rod, reel and if applicable float in shot.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Benny, it's a tricky call without a reel or scales, etc., alongside the fish, also the thumb 'not known' distance doesn't help. Much easier if one of the above (excluding the thumb;)) are on the mat with the fish.
Jerry
PS Unless that is a massive net IMO 15lbs would be pushing it - I've got pics of tincas making a good job of taking up room in a 28" net.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
You need some sort of reference point to give a sense of scale. Most of my trophy shots are "ground shots" but I always try to get a rod/reel or something in the shot to give an idea of size...without that its very hard as your pic proves. With only a thumb to judge it against I agree it looks about 3lb...its clearly bigger than that but I wouldn't like to guess how much bigger

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Benny, it's a tricky call without a reel or scales, etc., alongside the fish, also the thumb 'not known' distance doesn't help. Much easier if one of the above (excluding the thumb;)) are on the mat with the fish.
Jerry
PS Unless that is a massive net IMO 15lbs would be pushing it - I've got pics of tincas making a good job of taking up room in a 28" net.

Yes completely agree but would you say this fish was 36 , or looks it ?

Stunning linear tops 13 carp haul | Coarse Fishing News | Angling Times | Gofishing UK

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
yes but they keep flapping around

Leave them in the net,on the mat while you get ready.Keep the net "closed" ie with the fish stiill wrapped in the mesh. If it flaps then it can't hurt/damage itself. I carry a weigh sling for lumps but I mostly weigh my fish in the net,quick shot and then back in the water.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Stunning linear tops 13 carp haul | Coarse Fishing News | Angling Times | Gofishing UK

Looks bigger...but its being held towards the camera

barbelboi

Reaction score

Benny, I find photos can be very misleading unless taken on a mat with a recognised tackle piece along side - I've got a pic of a 31lb 02oz river carp held for a pic where most people believe it to be bigger - I've also got pics on the mat of two 37 + and most seem to guess they are about right or smaller:
Jerry

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
If that is a Match size net then i would say that the likely hood of that fish being 15lb is very very slim.
It would be more like 8lb - 10lb perhaps, the reason for me saying that is, if it is say a 20" pan net then the fish isn't very long and it certainly isn't very fat.
If you know the size of the net used that will give you some indication as to the size of the fish.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
If that is a Match size net then i would say that the likely hood of that fish being 15lb is very very slim.
It would be more like 8lb - 10lb perhaps, the reason for me saying that is, if it is say a 20" pan net then the fish isn't very long and it certainly isn't very fat.
If you know the size of the net used that will give you some indication as to the size of the fish.

Ha Ha I showed the photo to my son last night and said "that's the 15lb carp I foul hooked isn't it ?" He said "yes but it was only 12" "what ? .... What...?"

Anyway the fish was definitely over 10 but certainly doesn't look it.

Next time I will take the advice given here , lie the fish down partially covered by the net and get some scale into it.

Many thanks

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some years ago I foul hooked a carp on my local club water, it fought like a gud un and everyone round the lake came to see what I was trying to land as it really put a bend in my Daiwa match rod. when I finally bought it to the net it was a nice common, about...
2lb :D

B

Berty

147 hits and 10 replies.......i think 137 rolled their eyes in dispair at that fish being 15lb.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
benny I know pic's can be deceiving but that's obviously just a small carp.

I can't see the point in the thread to be honest as it seems obvious your going to get upset if people don't tell you what you want to hear....sorry chap.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
That is entirely my point , I know what it looks like in the photo - a small carp and I know what it looked like in reality , no way to prove or disprove it , even with photographic evidence, but i am not trying to prove anything anyway.

So if you say that looks like a small carp I have to agree , in fact I already said that myself right at the start of the thread.

But if you said yes when you photograph them in the net you would be amazed how dissapointing they can if you get the angle wrong look then I would also agree.

Maybe its an interesting optical illusion , but its certainly not interesting enough to warrant a long thread.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Problem solved , next time I go fishing ( could have done it yesterday really ) I will take 2 photos of the same fish and using the same net.

Thanks for all the replies.

murv

Reaction score
I think the problem with that particular shot is that your thumb in the foreground is making it look small.
At first glance, I would've said 3-5lbs on a good day. However, if you look again and consider that your thumb is far closer to the camera than the fish, then, yes, it does appear to be far bigger.

EDIT: something I actually started doing last Year was weighing fish again. I hadn't weighed a fish for Years as after a while it's fairly easy to judge what they weigh. However, after a few Years, my "brain weigh calibration system" was a bit off, and those big river chub weren't actually quite as impressive as I'd been thinking.
Anyway, just a suggestion.
Of course it may be that you don't care what they weigh, and just enjoy catching the things. Me, if they're good fish, I have to know!

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I think the problem with that particular shot is that your thumb in the foreground is making it look small.
At first glance, I would've said 3-5lbs on a good day. However, if you look again and consider that your thumb is far closer to the camera than the fish, then, yes, it does appear to be far bigger.

EDIT: something I actually started doing last Year was weighing fish again. I hadn't weighed a fish for Years as after a while it's fairly easy to judge what they weigh. However, after a few Years, my "brain weigh calibration system" was a bit off, and those big river chub weren't actually quite as impressive as I'd been thinking.
Anyway, just a suggestion.
Of course it may be that you don't care what they weigh, and just enjoy catching the things. Me, if they're good fish, I have to know!

When I my son and I first started commercial fishing , not long ago , we eventually bought some digital scales and checked their calibration with some free weights. We were dissapointed to find we had been overestimating the size of our fish by between thirty and fifty percent.

Since then we have caught bigger fish and eventually you get an eye for it , but I agree you need to recalibrate that sense also.

So my biggest fish was eleven pound eight , but foul hooked , I am still after a properly caught double figure carp , don't know why but I think it dates back to when I was a kid in the sixties and a ten pound carp was a mythical creature.

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Just been discussing this with my son and he sent me this from his phone , I didn't know he had it.

Looks a little bigger but not much
bennygesserit-albums-my-first-album-picture3171-otherview.jpg

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

Anyway even I am bored now :)