Animal rights group get it wrong

R

Robert Draper

Take a look at the online Telegraph today (I tried to c&p the URL but it didn't work for some reason !?!).

An anumal rights group is opposing a fox cull on a nature reserve which is home to some rare and endangered species of ground nesting birds. Suitable ammunition for the future I believe...

K

Kevan Farmer

Never forget that it was animal rights groups that released mink into the coutryside. The devastation that has caused is still ongoing years after it happened. Nine times out of ten they will 'shoot' themselves in the foot.

Kevan

M

Michael Hall

That true kevan !
I think that it has too be said that they can be parcilary to blame for the damage to some of our river fish spieces where there are large numbers of mink populated!!!
I think that they need to just get their ideoligy and philosophy correct first! Before they carry on blaming other people!
One more thing is that they dont complain when they are buying leather or snake skin shoes or eating fish as part of their non-meat diets!!!! Also when they are buying choclate and so on which contain animal fats and so on!

M

Michael Hall

Have they ever appeared at the NEC's or other shows?
I`d like to see what they would say when surrounded by a thousand or so anglers!!! Now that would be a laugh!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Take a look at this one <a href=http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20020310-39328075.htm>I killed it but it's your fault, now pay me</a>

R

Rodney Wrestt

won't work, you'll need to cut and paste, sorry.

(Rodney, I fixed the link above - Graham.)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Shades of Roger Scruton, this quote from the story above could have come straight from his book:

"Now here comes the inevitable Walt Disney-zation of animals: PETA says it "opposes the fear, the disruption of herd members' relationships and the bloodshed suffered by the deer on grounds of cruelty to animals."

"Deer aren't much interested in an elephant-style mentality that includes deep, emotional care for related herd members. To talk of "relationships" among deer is stretching things. And as far as the bloodshed is concerned, it is indeed a pity that the deer died and nobody thought to try and save as many steaks and roasts as possible but instead allowed good venison to go to waste.

What a pity."

R

Rodney Wrestt

Thanks Graham,
I see where I went wrong now.

So they wrecked a COMPANY car and the COMPANY lawyers are sorting it out, so much for a charitable organisation, as for the driver surely, being so consious of the animals living in the environment he was traveling through he should have been going slow, you know trying to avoid hitting flies with his windscreen.

At least it's one more deer safe from a bullet now though ehh.

C

Chrisx Ess

This car accident reminds me of Tibetan Buddhists, some of whom won't dedliberately kill anything. However, if they find an animal dead by accident or natural causes, then they will eat it, as otherwise it's going to waste! Is there any record of whether these people did or did not butcher the deer carcass?

R

Rodney Wrestt

The last few lines in Graham post are a quote from the article (3posts up) which indicates they left the animal for dead, they didn't take it to a vets or phone for one (the article doesn't say if the deer was killed outright), they left it to die on the side of the road by the looks of it. The hyperlink 5 posts up will take you to the story in the online version of The Washington Post. or try <a href=http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20020310-39328075.htm>HERE</a>