line to backing

Joey

Reaction score
I posted this question in the carp section by mistake, just had a senior moment.

I want to have a go at fly fishing and have obtained the basic equipment. Would anyone advise me as to the best way to attach a floating fly line to the backing on the reel?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It's the ALBRIGHT or NAIL KNOT you want .......

All the fly-fishing knots you need CLICK HERE

Joey

Reaction score
Thanks very much Ed, thats a brilliant site. They seem to have most of the knots you could want for any sort of fishing.

Dickthebuilder

Reaction score
I asked a similar question some weeks ago on a web forum and was given a good tip;

If you have a spare spool - wind on the fly-line first - with the tippet/fly end on the spool first - then attach the backing with the knots shown above and continue to wind on until the desired amount of line and backing fills the spool to the correct level.

Now wind the whole lot onto the spool you are going to use - this ensures the correct/desired amount of backing is attached.

Joey

Reaction score
An excellent idea ****, thanks for your help lads I will have a go atit tonight.

Coch-y-giggsy

Reaction score
What backing would you suggest gents, I always used to use the hollow braid type backing but recently justhad a number of spools of bugdet backing which seems to be more like a regular nylon string. Is this worth using, or should I opt for the old standard hollow braid.

Thanks in advance

david3092

Reaction score
that tip about winding the flyline on first has to be one of the best tips i have come across for a long time which i new about it sooner would have saved me a great deal of time and money the last time i put new fly line i got my self in such a tangle i ended up sending the reel back to the supplier of the flyline what a great chap he wastoo