a Trout full of eggs

Dickthebuilder

Reaction score
Hi

When fishing this week (fishery name witheld at this time) I caught a 2lb rainbow that was *full* of eggs.

I've not seen this before - I gave the fish a squeeze and ended up with a sizeable pile of eggs on the bank-side - is this normal .?

How does this work with triploid rainbows etc - or is it just a time-of-year phenominon .?

wilbert

Reaction score
This rainbow is not a triploid and is a normal female fish (diploid) which has done what comes naturally at this time of year. It used to be fairly common but as more and more places stocked with triploids its a rare sight these days. It may be that the process didn't work on this fish or it was cheaper to buy in diploid fish and the fishery has stocked with these. triplod fish overwinter much better as they dont loose any body condition producing eggs or milt.

I think that to create a triploid fish the eggs are heated to a specific temp for a set length of time just like pasturising milk.

FH

Reaction score
I remember one like that. My Dad caught a 3lb rainbow, and it covered the bank in eggs. I think its btreeding season for rainbows, and we caught the fish about 4 weeks ago.