Mitchell 300

C

Chris Bishop

Before I go all dewy-eyed with nostaliga and reach for the cheque book, has anyone tried the new Mitchell 300..? I want a couple of light lure reels, would they stand up to this..?

D

Del Jarman

Have not tried them myself yet Chris, but everybody I know that has 1 or 2 reckon there the poodle's whatsits.

Del.

G

gary magee

I looked at them they reminded me of the old intrepid black prince.Needless to say I bought shimano

A

Andrew Thomas

Just won one, courtesy IYCF, when I get it I'll let you know. Handled one in a shop a month ago and fancied one, oddly.

P

Peter Waller

The Monkey's nuts Chris. I bought a pair of 300X Pros, well impressed. Reckon Shimanno will have to pull their sox up after these ones. The build quality is excellent. Pop one one a rod, lovely, I'm really very pleased with mine indeed. Roach to pike, a winner!

A

Ashe Hurst

Whats the going rate for an origional,good condition one?

My uncle has two but dosnt fish anymore.

T

Tony O'dell

What is the line lay and clutch like on them....the cluthes were awful on the old ones, and the line lay wasnt up to the new shimano's....still the best reel of there type for ages though..just dont load a lot of heavy line on them....

K

Kevan Farmer

Ashe. ?25 to ?30 from what I've seen lately. Waht is the bail arm spring like on them? That, apparently was the big falling point of the old 300's. Must say that I use a 410 still - 25 yrs old - and it's still going strong.

Kevan

A

Ashe Hurst

Ive seen second hand 300,s going for ?70 each on a few occassions,just thought i would get some other idears.

C

Chris Bishop

Peter - I was thinking about "light" summer lure fishing with them...

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris, thats what I want one for...but in the mags they look big..anyone tell me, compared to the old 300, what the size is like?

K

Kevan Farmer

Ashe. ?70!!!!! That is silly money. They were very good reels in their time but they just do not compare to modern reels. Yes they are rugged - leaving out the dodgy bail arm spring - and they last for ever? But ?70??? Somebody is being silly. At that rate they could go the same way as old centre pins. Lovely reels but priced way above what their true monetary value is. I've sen the same with the old ABU 506. Again, I have one and if I wanted another I would not be prepared to pay more than about ?25 for one of those. I was actually offered both an original 300 and a 506 not too long back both for ?20. I've no use for them what with all the rest of my tackle so I turned them down.

Kevan

R

Rob Brownfield

My local shop has 2 x 810 Mitchells, both for ?20 each, with 3 spare spools.

C

Chris Bishop

Haven't got it yet but I'd have those 810s if they're still there.

C

Chris Bishop

Trouble is a lot of the old stuff was more solid than today's cost cutting counterparts.

I've had one of the new baitrunners since Sept. Just got one to see what they were like as a prelude to changing over when the others finally give up the ghost.

In a few months it's worse than ones I've had four years.

The spindle wobbles and the spool actually slips when you pull into a fish, or try winching in a drifter rig or a heavy bait.

The anti-reverse switch inexplicably works in the opposite direction to the old ones. Worse still, it doesn't always seem to disengage, which is a bit of a problem if you fish with the drag screwed up tight and backwind to play fish.

That isn't on for four months' use. I had a couple of Mitchells that I had six or eight years out of.

The bail arm springs were about the only problem I ever had.

Apart from line getting behind the spool.

And the line coming off the wrong way for casting.

And the poor line lay using 15lb line.

And the noise the anti-reverse used to make.

And the paint chipping off them.

And........

D

Dave O'L

I seem to remember everyone kindly advising me not to get so 'dewy eyed' & retire my 410 a few months ago.

Chris I really would take/send back that reel of yours. These are the words I was quoted by Which Legal service giving me advice, changed a little for your letter to the shop if they cut up rough? ;)

"There has been a breech of contract and misrepresentation by yourselves. The reel is not and was not and has never been of satisfactory quality fit for it?s purpose or to description as required by the Sale of Goods Act". (Is it still not under garuantee)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Before getting too heavy about it I would make a call to the Shimano Service Centre (details in pod on right) and tell them what's happened to the reel. Shimano are a reputable company and I don't doubt they would rather have a satisfied customer than not.

I've had some of the reels you're having trouble with and although they're not the best build Shimano have made mine are nowhere near as bad as yours Chris. Give them a call and see what happens.

Mind you, like Dave says, if they're under guarantee then give them back to the retailer and say you're not satisfied.