Spinning during the closed season on the Wye

andy87

Reaction score
Hi guys

Off camping tomorrow, and during the couple of nights I have near Hay on Wye I am sorely tempted to have a bit of a spin for anything that may be about - pike, trout, perch - maybe even salmon.

I'm a bit of a novice away from coarse fishing, so I'm just double checking whether spinning, along with fly fishing, is permitted during the closed season. Also, any information on where I can fish on the Wye around Hay/Forest of Dean by purchasing a day ticket would be much appreciated.

Best,

Andy

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

You will need to buy a game fishing licence as your coarse licence is not valid for spinning on rivers during the close season...

An 8 day Salmon and Sea Trout licence will set you back £23.

You can buy these online from the The Post Office and provided you take a copy of your licence number you are covered pretty much instantaneously.

For day tickets you could try the Wye and Usk Foundation

Last edited:

andy87

Reaction score
Hi there

Many thanks, yep I have already purchased an 8 day salmon license this morning, so that part is sorted. I guess it is just day tickets now that I'll need.

I won't be too far from Symon's Yat West, don't suppose you know of any decent permit stretches near to there?

goonch

Reaction score
You will need to buy a game fishing licence as your coarse licence is not valid for spinning on rivers during the close season...
Only if you are targeting salmon or sea trout. If you are fishing for non-migratory trout then your coarse license is fine.

Should also point out (though presumably too late for the OP to read it) that pike, perch and all other coarse fish are out of season no matter what method you are using.