Fly Fishing for Bass - fly or small regdill?

bigperca1

Reaction score
I'm just starting out in fly fishing for bass. Can anyone tell me if mini redgill eels are OK for fly fishing or should I get hold of some propper bass flies?

Also, can anyone advice me on how deep and fast to fish?

many thanks

super snatcher

Reaction score
Both will work. I think that the way you fish them is very important,keep varying the retrieve and see what the bass prefer. Picking the correct location and tide is paramount though. You can turn up with the best gear and lures in the world but if the bass are not there you will not catch anything !!!

Bass anglers tend to be secretive about their marks and rightly so. Give away an exact bass location on any forum and its a recipe for disaster. The commercials will have their gill nets in at that spot in a very short space of time.

I have fly fished for 50 years now and do enjoy it under the correct circumstances. I have fished over on the Mull of Galloway/Luce Bay area for over 20 years now and we have had a static caravan there for the last 10 years. I have caught bass there on conventional fly gear and it is good fun but even with the use of a line tray have shredded many a good fly line on sharp rocks/reefs.

After a lot of experimentation over the years my favourite bass set up now is -

12 feet Sonik spinning rod

Spinning reel loaded with 15lb mono

20g Drennan controller float

9 foot trace of 10lb mono

2/0 baitholder hook with a 6" holographic sandeel threaded on - its my favourite bass lure. Sometimes if the bass are not keen I will rummage through my fly box until I find something they are keen on. I can cast a lure/fly about 60 yds no bother with this set up.

You can catch bass through the day but I usually find dawn/dusk/darkness to be the best. I took early retirement a few years ago and now bass fish for a few hours most days in the summer over in Luce Bay.

I hope you find some of this post useful. Tight lines :)

John

Last edited:

bigperca1

Reaction score
Sounds like you have the perfect retirement! Thanks very much for the advice.