pole rods

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Not being much of a pole angler (not much of an angler full stop) I'm probable wrong here, but I'd opt for something around 8m and not too expensive - this will give the beginner a chance to see if this is right for them without too much outlay.

8m shouldgive a good reach without being too uncombersome, you can always upgrade later.

Is this for a child or adult - the adult will find holding the longer poles easier.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
For excellent value, lightness and strength I'd say the Daiwa Yank n Bank (10 metres) is about as versatile starter pole that you'll find. Best used at nine metres and less it is light enough for simple river pole work as well as tackling commercial fisheries. Expect to pay around £125.

L

Laurie Harper

Good suggestion from Mark. Also, most of the better companies have something similar. Definitiely a good idea to go for something robust (usually described as a carp pole) for a beginner as it will stand up to the odd bit of clumsiness. When you progress to something lighter/better, it can serve for margin/heavy duty clsoe range work, so you'll get good use from it. Fox and Maver also make good inexpensive margin poles - around 10 metres/£100 ish.