Post Office keeps rod licence contract

Joey

Reaction score
Whilst I wish to support Post Offices, I believe that there should be other outlets.

If fishery owners were allowed to sell EA licences, perhaps with a small commission, they may be encouraged to check the licences of their customers. Tackle shops might also benefit by being allowed to sell them by virtue of the fact it would attract potential customers into their shops.

Reaction score
Whilst I totally support the reason behind your point Joey, I think it is vital that Post Offices continue to offer these facilites AND we support them by purchasing our licences from them. There has been another mass cull of sub post offices - again hitting communities and individuals who come to depend on these outlets. What is worse is that many of the owners of these sub-post offices received assurances about the continued existence of business from the Post Office before buying.

The Monk

Reaction score
I wouldnt support the post office for anything, they are a complete bunch of loonatics and should really be in business

Reaction score
Have they upset you in some small way, Monk?

I am more than happy with my local Post Office - it's the Royal Mail that gets up my nose big style - and interestingly up the noses of the nice ladies at my local Post Office (cos they always take the flak when RMail cock it up)

F

Fred Bonney

They used to Joey.

I think the reason ,you can only get them from the PO(or direct) is because it cost the EA more than they were collecting, trying to get the money out of some tackle dealers.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

They obviously once refused to cash his giro at his peg Paul!

Joey

Reaction score
I can remember by my licences from tackle shops may years ago. I can see your point about collecting the money. I would, however, have thought that modern technology woul have made it easier.

I just feltthat if fishery owners and tackle shops were allowed to sell them it might reduce the number of unlicenced anglers and get people into the said tackle shops.

The Monk

Reaction score
"Have they upset you in some small way, Monk?"

yes they closed my local post office and they had a bird behind the counter who had the biggest t*ts you`ve ever seen in your life, and she always had the top three buttons undone when I went in, shes gone now, bludi post office

Eerrr anyone want to buy a boatload of stamps/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

D

david bruce 1

Why Monk - did she keep them on the bottom shelf /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Post Office is more reliable than getting them direct, I seem to remember a number of people on here having problems receiving them after their direct debits had been taken out, take a couple of mins in the post office, just dont go on pension day, it's not pretty having to beat oap's round the head so you can get your licence quicker /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Good to see Monk and I have exactly the same public spirited reasons for maintaining the local Post Office - pop down to Edgeley mate and cheer yourself up with visions of the local post-mistress.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
They keep the right to sell the Rod Licence then shut a load of the sub post offices down. Why is everything about money. I forgot greed

Joey

Reaction score
The problem is there appears to be some sort of agenda to close down post offices. Whether having the monopoly on the sale of EA licences will keep any more of them open is doubtful.

Fewer post offices means bigger queues in those that are left and a greater distance to travel if your local P.O closes down. It would appear to me that this is not the best way to encourage people to obtain a licence and will result in more dodgers.

I am sorry to say that I think the EA have hitched their cart to a dying horse.

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

Bryan,

It seems to be the government and not the Post Office that are closing them down.

Typically, this 'lot' cannot differentiate between service and profit!

I live in a rural area that is not best served at the moment with local Post Offices, and some of those are in danger of being closed down, which is yet another reason that I joined the CA.

The Monk

Reaction score
If I ran the post office I would make significant improvements, open one on every street, sell others things too, like guitars and ice axes, and only employment women with giant T*Ts, and sell kebabs like our Nadges, these people have no idea how to attract customers

D

david bruce 1

My local rural subPO is closing down. He is retiring and after two raids his wife willnot work in the shop anyway.

The neighbouring Newsagent wanted to take it on in his quite modern shop. The PO insited on £6000 worth of modifications and then would only guaranttee him 12 months of trade. Without a longer term of business security he told them he'd be keeping his £6000.

My friend in a neighbouring village near a busy shopping row has given up. He said although he was busyand employed two staff and had quite a few other sales lines in his shop he was loosing money as the PO margins on - say a parcel - didnot cover the time/cost it took to process it and that on pension days he had to carry so much money (uninsured by the PO) to be able to provide the service -unyet the PO would not acknowledge it and cover him. The possibility of enforced closure and when they insisted he and staff did extra mail sorting for Xmas pushed him to tell them where to go and he closed the end of November. The nearest PO is now abouta mile and a quarter from the main district shops.

Then yesterday I had to post an urgentletter so I set out to catch the 08:30 collection from the box by our PO. Then I read the plate. Collections: Monday to Sat 17:30 with a vague comment that there may be collection earlier - no firm commitment. Then they struggle to deliver 1st class mail on time - is it a surprise?

Where has the service gone/forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

derek watson

Reaction score
hi,

were i live in middx all the post offices are closed or forced to close by the post office

so what chance have you got of getting a liecence its getting difficullt to get one round

here i think the tackel shops should be able to sell them