BURBOT

G

gary magee

When I was a kid in the 70`s it was britains rarest fresh water fish.
Are there any left and if not why not.
Surely our licence money could be spent on a limited restocking.

R

Ron Clay

I think there are none left now in the UK. It may be to do with intensive farming and global warming.

During 1964, **** Walker had a long campaign to try and catch one from the Great Ouse and Cam. He fished with worms, dead minnows and gudgeon.

He failed.

R

Rob Brownfield

Take a Barbel, cut off all but one barbels, spray it a mottled brown..and bingo...a Burgot :)!

(To any antis out there looking for ammo..this is a jike..ok...no angler would really do this!!)

G

gary magee

If we tell the toffs it a game fish,tell the E.A. its a sea fish that only enters freshwater to spawn millions of pounds of our course fishing licence money would be spent stocking the rivers with millions of them.The only problem being we would not be able to fish for them without a game licence. Maybe we could blame the burbots demise on cormorants thus being able to blast the little blighters into extinction (any antis who are able to read this is also a joke--NOT!).

E

EC

I believe you can catch them on the Danube, night fishing in Winter!
As an aside a good friend of mine who works in the (legitimate) fish/fisheries business, made an application to stock them (from Europe) a couple of years ago....guess what the response was?

ron lander

Reaction score
Two years aga came very close to spending a LOT of cash on an antique book called 'freshwater fishes', circa around 1850. It had some wonderful drawings of fish includung the Burbot. According to the book, Liverpool museum had a stuffed Burbot, wonder if its still there!

I

Ian Whittaker

Try rockling fishing -the poor mans burbot substitute.Seriously you can catch them in Scandanavia- Matt Hayes did in an A.T feature on ice fishing

S

Steve Muir

Gary
The burbot is the only fish known to have become extinct in Great Britain in recent centuries.
Restricted to rivers in eastern England from County Durham to the Great Ouse.
The reason for the extinction of the Burbot in England is open to debate as the rivers from
which the species was previously recorded still contain fish.

There is an action plan to decide by 2005 on whether attempts should be made to re-establish
self-sustaining populations in England. Consideration will have to be given to the ecology,
physiology,and behaviour of the species,and interactions with other species.

Regards
Steve

K

Kevan Farmer

Ok, the burbot. I have friends in Hungaria who regularly fish for them - they sent a photo only the other day of a very specimen they caught the other week. They are the freshwater equivalent of the cod. At one time they could be caught in numbers from the Trent. Night fishing was the order of the day (?) usually with a bunch of lobs for bait.

The last capture I personally know of came from the Staffs Worcester canal at Gailey. This was about 20 years ago. It was a highly unusual capture as canals were not known for burbot. This was caught by a friends son so it is a fairly trustworthy account. It went back alive. Nothing has been heard - as far as I know - since then.

The Angling Times at one time had a reward scheme going of ?100 for the capture of a live burbot. The reward was never taken.

Kevan

A

Alan Roe

Martin James has asked me to post this on the site.Dear Alan Just got back from Swedish Lapland, I noticed the bit about
Burbot If you put this on the site I can help those who are interested
in catching some. I have read with interest the burbot question I have
caught several over the past couple of years, they are nothing to get
excited about just an interest fish, you can also catch them on a set
line through the ice in Swedish Lapland, further details E-mail
martin@flyfish.demon.co.uk Kind regards Martin

K

Keith Miller

According to my Observer's book of freshwater fishes:- a night feeding predator, eel like, up to 8lbs and 3 feet in length. Indiginous to eastern rivers, Cam,Ouse and Trent. Would be an interesting capture, no doubt.
Picture reminds me of what I would call an eelpout, a nuisance fish when beach fishing off Essex/Suffolk coast.

S

Steve Muir

Chris

The reasons burbot died out are poorly understood but toxic chemicals may
have been involved. It's more likely to be caused by the Burbot being confined
to restricted and often fragmented habitats. Recent improvements in water
quality may make it possible for it to survive once more.

There has been no authenticated record of the species in the UK for over 50
years. In Europe it is known from about 19 countries but is considered threatened
in several of these

Regards Steve