Barbel/chub baits

Pete dingdangdoo

Reaction score
Looking to go out tomorrow for a few hours on the Trent around the Newark-East Stoke area,basically for a bend in the rod. Having not fished the Trent at this time of year before could anyone give me a bit of advice on which baits to use that would give me the best chance of a fish or two?

Also I hear the river is very high, coloured and pushing through at the min.

Thanks,

Pete.

webo

Reaction score
Hi Pete i would use BIG lumps of meat about 4 baits from a tin is about right,you can get some good flavoured luncheon meat from most supermarkets i find garlic or black pepper flavours the best but i dip them in turmeric to add colour and freeze them overnight to drawit in.dont be tempted to feed any loose offerings just rely on the flavour leak to draw in any Barbel nearby.

tight lines. Webo

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
If the trents anything like the ribble use your carp rods and 8 oz of lead. Anything big and smelly should work on the hook.

Reaction score
I'm guessing the Trent is well up at the mo...

So it's float stop up the 12/15lb mainline line to catch crud, 10/12lb hooklength, 2lbplus tc and a heap of lead with either smelly pva contents or heavily strapped feeder, coupled with a massive 16mm plus halibut pellet (or a bunch of lobs) matched to a size 6-2.

Unfortunately you'd need a lb of lead to hold bottom on the Severn at the mo./forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Good luck!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
With regards to float stops. I have found the Fox Braid stops to be the best. There longer and stronger than the standard ones.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Not necessarily relevant here but those Fox Braid stops don't pass easily through thelasttwo or three eyesof a feeder or barbel rod when casting.

Obviously depends on how far up the line you have it positioned but you need larger eyes like on carp and some pike rods. I use an old fashioned sliding stop knot since discovering that the other week.

They do grip the line well though.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I rarely put them more than a couple of feet up from the lead. So have no worries as they never go through the eyes. But know what you mean Paul.