call for greater lobbying

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
on sundays fish blues radio show, keith arthur said that in order for the ATr to lobby in the house of mp's, they had to pay and it was very expensive, adding that mr salter would not like the anorak term, so I am to assume that he is one of the lobbyists
no surprise there then
we cant compete as anglers in the normal world outside of the corridors, sorry lobbies of that house filled with honourable gentleman, so what makes us think we can compete with big business within
our resources will be smaller, our lobbyists either retired volunteers or individuals with more than one job, and they'll be up against full time paid professionals
its a no brainer and a recipe similar to the past years 30 meetings between anglers, the EA and hydropower proposers
scant resources wasted in fruitless meetings that achieve nuffin, the game is loaded against us, and part of that game wants us to waste more resources

when it comes to elected officials, getting re-elected is top of the agenda, hence such value is given to large organisations with large memberships, interspersed of course with political donations
we cant compete financially, but we could have a large membership, and if every angler was a member of the ATr, we wouldn't have to pay to lobby, the politicians would come to us
and just to lob another piece of controversy at you all
if mr salter couldn't achieve much for angling within the house of commons, what can he achieve outside, or is his push for lobbying an attempt to meet his old time buddies at someone elses expense
as he's got a supa dupa pension from us all, [the electorate], and an annual salary from thames water, why dont he donate his salary from the ATr to pursue the lobbying he deems so important
perhaps, akin to many people, he thinks he can achieve more with your money than his own

maceo

Reaction score
Having read Keith Arthur's columns in the Angling Times, I have concluded that I pretty much disagree with everything he thinks, says and writes.

If this lobbying of venal "cab for hire" politicians is very expensive, as he says, then where is the money to go? In who's pockets will it end up?

I don't consent to bribery, however it's dressed up as holiday fact-finding tours, gifts or richly paid remuneration for supposed part time 'advisory' posts.

It's immoral.