What is this?

N

Nathan Ball

I caught a fish during the summer of '07 but i have no idea what it is. At first I thought it was a crucian but now i'm not sure - can anyone identify this? All i know is that on even on robust tackle (6lb main line - 4lb hooklink) it still faught like mad!!
unidentified.jpg

N

Nathan Ball

Ps: Check out my gallery as well - i've just uploaded some new pictures /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

N

Nathan Ball

Are you sure?

I've never had a common like this before, it's body shape is a lot different to a common as well. It was more disc shaped. Although I did wonder if it was one of the really old original 'wild' carp strains?

The Monk

Reaction score
probably a small common, could have a bit of crucian in it?,. did it have barbs

F

Frothey

wildies would be long and thin. like monk says,maybe a bit of crucian in it. thats not that strange a shape for a "normal" carp

N

Nathan Ball

I don't think it did have barbs - i've caught a few of these but cant work out what they are. Some have had really big tails - i thought maybe they were crossed with some kind of goldfish?

N

Nathan Ball

It wasn't actually - It was from a small local pond. It'sone of those 'off the beaten track' type venues. In fact i've only ever seen 2 other people fish it!

The Monk

Reaction score
yes it could be a mix gene, aratus do cross with cyprinus of course

N

Nathan Ball

Well of course they do Monk - who doesn't know that?! /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

W

Wolfman Woody

The most likely is that it's a brown goldfish, but maybe a f1 or f2 hybrid carp.

N

Nathan Ball

I think it's most likely a brown goldfish although i've never caught one - the owner of the lake wasn't too sure either!

I was just curious to see what other people thought about it.

Colin W

Reaction score
looks like a common carp to me as well m8. nice fish ...tight lines...col.