Dragon Carp show at Doncaster Dome, who went?

dixi1801

Reaction score
And what did you get?

I'll start off!

Nice sized bag - £5
Polarised sun glasses - £5
Maver single net bag - £12
Bait needle, drill and other bits - £5
3 bags of flavoured Boilies - £1 per bag

Let's here it then, what bargains did you grab!?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And what did you get?

I'll start off!

Nice sized bag - £5
Polarised sun glasses - £5
Maver single net bag - £12
Bait needle, drill and other bits - £5
3 bags of flavoured Boilies - £1 per bag

Let's here it then, what bargains did you grab!?

To much info mate, any one that put money in that guy's pocket want's sending to the tower :D :D

dangermouse

Reaction score
To much info mate, any one that put money in that guy's pocket want's sending to the tower :D :D

Why so!? And I thought I'd put the cost up cause it was next to nothing, bargains lol!

It would be fair to say Mark is NOT a fan of Mr Surgay :D

I`ve just arrived back from there. Bought a pair of cheap bite alarms for £5 and 7 assorted rod rests for £3 from the DC stalls.

Also picked up a couple of reel bags £5 for the pair, and a set of 3 Theseus bobbins for £6 from the Fishing Republic stall.

Mark, I`ll go to the tower willingly but I`m afraid you`ll have to join me for crimes against the apostrophe :eek: :p :D

dixi1801

Reaction score
It would be fair to say Mark is NOT a fan of Mr Surgay :D

I`ve just arrived back from there. Bought a pair of cheap bite alarms for £5 and 7 assorted rod rests for £3 from the DC stalls.

Also picked up a couple of reel bags £5 for the pair, and a set of 3 Theseus bobbins for £6 from the Fishing Republic stall.

Mark, I`ll go to the tower willingly but I`m afraid you`ll have to join me for crimes against the apostrophe :eek: :p :D

Oh! Any reason for this?

And nice! Wish I'd bought a bite alarm :( and a pellet waggler! Gonna have to buy one of those at full price instead of 2 for £5! Dunno how cheap I can get a bite alarm for!

There were plenty of deals to be had though!

dangermouse

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think the bite alarms are £5 for two online. They may not be up to much but for that price and how often I`m likely to use them I`m sure I`ll get my money`s worth.

dixi1801

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think the bite alarms are £5 for two online. They may not be up to much but for that price and how often I`m likely to use them I`m sure I`ll get my money`s worth.

You're correct! 2 for £5 :D

The pellet wagglers are about £4 each haha, missed my opportunity there!

Can't go wrong with the bag I got, decent size and half of the price from the site!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Right guy's
I am sorry if I come across as a tackle snob, I am not (tart yes, but not snob :D) but I do not like DC for reasons that I will keep to myself for now! I am in a position to be able to buy the gear I want but I know that some people have to budget for their hobbies and I do appreciate that and it's none of my business what folk buy with their hard earned. I just have my own idea on what constitutes budget tackle and what constitutes utter rubbish...Sorry, but that's just me ;) If I give advice to a novice I will allways point them in the direction of decent tackle whatever their budget, It could be a £260 Daiwa rod or a £30 Maver rod, but I will allways try and give unbiased advice, just don't get me started on Mitchell 300s :D :D :D

benny samways

Reaction score
I love good tackle. My Harrisons and Shimmy D's are a testament to that. But as the tools they are I am aware that cheaper versions will do the job just as good.

Whats that old saying, how does it go,...... "knows the price of everything and the value of nothing".

Okay, so some of the stuff might be cheap tat (worm attractor anyone?) but surely if something does what it says on the tin then its okay?

Some guys rave about the avanti barbel rods. The Marco cortesi pin is the modern day equivalent of a Speedia (in as much as it brings a good reliable centrepin to the masses).

Unless your going top of the range, and therefore not thinking of getting replacements anytime soon, then why would a £10 match rod be so significantly worse than a £30 shakespeare?

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Unless your going top of the range, and therefore not thinking of getting replacements anytime soon, then why would a £10 match rod be so significantly worse than a £30 shakespeare?

About the same quality I would say, the shaky is more expensive because it's a ''big'' name :D :D :D

dangermouse

Reaction score
Seems a lot for a bell and peg.

I've heard a lot of comments on here about their stuff being really poor quality, is it usable though, could you equip a beginner and have it last a season or two?

I would say so, at least based on what I`ve bought from them.

Right guy's
I am sorry if I come across as a tackle snob, I am not (tart yes, but not snob :D) but I do not like DC for reasons that I will keep to myself for now!

Don`t worry mate I`m aware from several previous posts that your dislike of DC is probably more based on Ray Surgay than the tackle itself.

Some guys rave about the avanti barbel rods.

I bought the Electron Blue 11ft Avon barbel rod last year. I`ve yet to catch a barbel on it (Roll on the 16th) but it`s handled a couple of carp with great ease. I`ve used it for straight forward legering, method feeder fishing and to fish a surface bait and as far as my inexperienced eye is concerned it`s performed well at every task I`ve set it. So as far as I`m concerned it was £10 well spent.

dixi1801

Reaction score
I would say so, at least based on what I`ve bought from them.

Don`t worry mate I`m aware from several previous posts that your dislike of DC is probably more based on Ray Surgay than the tackle itself.

I bought the Electron Blue 11ft Avon barbel rod last year. I`ve yet to catch a barbel on it (Roll on the 16th) but it`s handled a couple of carp with great ease. I`ve used it for straight forward legering, method feeder fishing and to fish a surface bait and as far as my inexperienced eye is concerned it`s performed well at every task I`ve set it. So as far as I`m concerned it was £10 well spent.

Where you off on the 16th mate? Good luck on bagging a (few) barbel!

I've never caught a barbel myself!

dangermouse

Reaction score
Where you off on the 16th mate? Good luck on bagging a (few) barbel!

I've never caught a barbel myself!

Cheers Josh. The river Don at Kilnhurst. I`ll either be going down very early Sat morning or if my mate is up for it we`ll camp out on Fri night and start fishing at first light.

I`ve never caught one either, it`s my main target for the new season.

Simon K

Reaction score
Right guy's
I am sorry if I come across as a tackle snob, I am not (tart yes, but not snob :D) but I do not like DC for reasons that I will keep to myself for now!

but I will allways try and give unbiased advice,

Mark, you have already made it perfectly clear that your objections to DC are from an "ethical" standpoint.

You have yet to provide any evidence upon which you base your view.
Or can I still catch that Panorama programme on BBC iPlayer? :rolleyes:

Since you have not (so far) let slip that you have actually used (let alone bought) any DC gear, that rather puts paid to the last line in your quote above, wouldn't you say?

Might I suggest that if you have personal issues with DC's owner(s), you put them in writing to him (them) and desist from littering these threads with your very biased view?
I, for one, am sick and tired of it.

If you've used a product and had a poor experience, be constructive and put it up here.

Bitchy hearsay and libel we can all do without, thanks. :(

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark, you have already made it perfectly clear that your objections to DC are from an "ethical" standpoint.

You have yet to provide any evidence upon which you base your view.
Or can I still catch that Panorama programme on BBC iPlayer? :rolleyes:

Since you have not (so far) let slip that you have actually used (let alone bought) any DC gear, that rather puts paid to the last line in your quote above, wouldn't you say?

Might I suggest that if you have personal issues with DC's owner(s), you put them in writing to him (them) and desist from littering these threads with your very biased view?
I, for one, am sick and tired of it.

If you've used a product and had a poor experience, be constructive and put it up here.

Bitchy hearsay and libel we can all do without, thanks. :(

Many years ago I had two friends that bought tackle from said guy and when they tried to return the faulty gear the so called customer service they received was diabolical!!
Don't forget Simon, I know this company (the DC warehouse is about 3 miles from me, and yes, I have been :)) Oh, by the way, I have tried out a MC centerpin...utter garbage ;)
By the way, if you read Dangermouse's thread you will see that HE understands that I am not having ago at anyone personally! Dear god bring back Mr Marsden ;)
Oh by the way, it is not libel for members of the public to complain about service they have received from a company!
PS: several letters have been wrote over the last few years to surgey by friends of mine and they never got a reply, say's something does it not ;)

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
Many years ago I had two friends that bought tackle from said guy and when they tried to return the faulty gear the so called customer service they received was diabolical!!
Don't forget Simon, I know this company (the DC warehouse is about 3 miles from me, and yes, I have been :)) Oh, by the way, I have tried out a MC centerpin...utter garbage ;)
By the way, if you read Dangermouse's thread you will see that HE understands that I am not having ago at anyone personally! Dear god bring back Mr Marsden ;)
Oh by the way, it is not libel for members of the public to complain about service they have received from a company!
PS: several letters have been wrote over the last few years to surgey by friends of mine and they never got a reply, say's something does it not ;)

You're right, it's not.

But you haven't produced this evidence of poor customer service before. Certainly not in your recent diatribes.
You have accused them of sourcing from "sweatshops" though, which is libellous.

You also haven't mentioned that you "tried out a MC centerpin...utter garbage ;)".
Not that that is a particularly comprehensive "test" for damning a whole range of goods?
My experience is of buying a Quality brand (Shimano) from them. I got a good price and goods in perfect working order, received in quick time, undamaged. I also paid a pittance for a rod, which hasn't been properly tested yet. If it fails, it'll be binned and I won't complain.

Living a few miles from a companys warehouse and making unfounded accusations against their sourcing are two entirely different things.

I know nothing about this company and care even less about others experiences since there are many "cheap" brand X's out there and we'll probably all agree they're not going to be up to our standards.

If your friends didn't receive satisfaction, they can always go to the Small Claims Court. That's what it's for.

They (DC and the like) do serve a market sector though and there's obviously a demand that they satisfy. I take it you have 99p Shops up north? Do you campaign vociferously against them too? And Argos?

An awful lot of people happily shop there time and again. Nobody goes there expecting Name brand quality though, do they?

If you're going to make the sort of statements you have, you'll have to get used to the practice of posters picking you up on the details. If you don't like it, be more discerning in what you post is my advice.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you're going to make the sort of statements you have, you'll have to get used to the practice of posters picking you up on the details. If you don't like it, be more discerning in what you post is my advice.

Looks like your on your own there mate...byebye ;)

bub81

Reaction score
Recently bought very budget tackle from DC and ebay.

From DC I ordered the Avanti trolley, £30+p&p.

Really impressed, even though the coating is a bit hit and miss on some corners which will probably rust at some point. The trolley itself makes an excellent height adjustable table andI'm chuffed to bits that I bought it.

Some time ago I bought a Vigor carp reel via post for £7 (not from DC). It's the worst fishing purchase I have ever made. Caught a 12.5lb carp on it yesterday and reeling in required exactly the same action as a rusty tin-opener, to edge the line in. Awful.

I'm also pretty sure that their use of the word 'drag' could be reported to trading standards. It should have been called 'jerk'.

Onto ebay, three NGT swingers for £8.50 inc p&p. 10 mins after taking them out the packet, my glue was already drying on one, whilst I sanded off the burrs on the inside of the line clips on the others. Not good! They performed ok tho - except for the glued one.

I share any concerns Mark may or may not have about "sweatshops", particularly in China. I only bought swingers because they were so cheap, would not have bought otherwise, but for those with the choice I urge them to avoid budget stuff...I feel sure when products come from china that cost 15% of the cheapest, known-brand product, its a pretty safe bet laws are being broken and workers' poverty is driven by our budget buying.

I would say its naive not to think that.

p.s. DC first sent the trolley to some guy in stoke who had never heard of DC. He phoned me up and the conversation was very confsuing for the first few minutes. Could barely the accent, but at least it went up north where people are honest enough to call and not to stick it straight on ebay! Anyway, DC sent another out straight away.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I share any concerns Mark may or may not have about "sweatshops", particularly in China. I only bought swingers because they were so cheap, would not have bought otherwise, but for those with the choice I urge them to avoid budget stuff...I feel sure when products come from china that cost 15% of the cheapest, known-brand product, its a pretty safe bet laws are being broken and workers' poverty is driven by our budget buying.

Please Don't get Simon started again :D

Sorry Mr k, but I could not resist, its only a bit of fun and I am sorry that I sounded a little blunt in answers to your posts in this thread, I just get a little on the defensive some times. no malice meant to you or anyone else ;)

Oh, and I don't really dislike southerners, just sarcastic northern bailiffs :D :D :D ;)