FEEDER FISHING

Darren Stokes

Reaction score
HI .. I AM IN NEED OF HELP I HAVE HAVE BEEN FEEDER FISHING FOR ABOUT 7 MONTHS I HAVE BEEN USING THE METHOD FEEDER BUT NOW I AM TRYING OUT THE MAGGOTT FEEDER FOR THE COLDER MONTHS COULD ANY OF YOU TELL ME WHAT MAIN LINE, HOOKLENGTH WOULD SUIT FOR CARP AROUND1 TO 8LB +BREAM,CHUB ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATFUL

DAZ

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I'd probably use 8lb mainline with 6lb hooklengths and if bites were few and far between scale down to 6lb mainline and 4lb hooklengths.

If the water is clear I'd probably use a flourocarbon line for the hooklengths to disguise the heavier line a little.

Beecy

Reaction score
Id probably go a bit lighter than Paul for the maggot feeder, suppose it depends on the number of larger carp around.

If its mainly carp at say 4lb+ then Pauls suggestion of 6lb/4lb will be about right for this time of year when they dont fight so hard.

But if its mainly Bream with only the odd chance of a carp then id be happy with 4lb mainline to 2lb hooklength.

Its a case of experimenting and settling on a set up that suits you and the venue.

Im not a fan of the hi-tec lines for feeder fishing, i would go with the tried and trusted Maxima mainline, with bayer for the hooklengths. Again, its all down to personal preferenve,trial and error and finding whats best for you.

F

frank catch

Dont use maggots!!!

They freeze up in the water in winterand when you reel in, it just leaves a line of maggots towards yourself, spreading the bait.

i would use a small cage feeder with small 2mm pellets and a dark groundbait and you will cath loads!

L

Laurie Harper

You've got to try casters and worms in winter, too, with chopped worm in the feeder. Also, flake/caster on the hook with likky bread in the feeder. As fail safe a selection of winter baits as it is possible to find, imho.