Gotcha!

maceo

Reaction score
At last - after several abortive attempts, I finally landed my first ever tench.

I used the lift method with a crystal waggler and corn on the hook.

It was caught at the Butler's Hill fishery I mentioned on another thread and was the only tench of the session.

Absolutely delighted to have caught one at last. What a strange feeling to them - not slimy, but sort of silky smooth. A lovely looking fish.

As far as weight is concerned, well maybe a pound and a good bit? Perhaps a touch more. Enough for the landing net, but not big enough to get the scales out!

Hope this will be the first of many, but only one more session planned on still water before the glorious 16th....

DSC02460.jpg

dangermouse

Reaction score
Congrats!

I adore tench, a fascination that stems from watching my grandfather catch them. Stunning looking and outstanding fighters for their weight, imo if they grew to 40lbs plus the carp wouldn`t get a look in.

Impossible to guess the weight without some kind of size reference in the photo but who cares, a lovely fish anyway. And you`re right about the texture, I can`t think of any other fish that feels like a tench.

beerweasel

Reaction score
Well done mate, I think the Tench is the only fish that can challenge the Rudd for beauty. :w

barbelboi

Reaction score
Everyone remembers their first tench, I remember mine as if it was only ...........err many years ago – but you don’t forget it, September 1952 on an old bamboo rod that left a set like Tattenham corner. I believe another angler caught a more famous fish that year/month which might have taken a bit off the gloss of my fish:wh.
Jerry

Morespiders

Reaction score
Jesus Boi, 1952, old people like you are entitled to a 90% discount of the PaSC, just mail me for the vastly reduced weights:D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone remembers their first tench, I remember mine as if it was only ...........err many years ago

Mine too; it came from The Longwater at Hampton Court Palace and it was the first ever fish that I had to use a landing net for.

Weighted on my Little Samson scales at 2¼lbs and witnessed by my Brother . . . . . those were golden days indeed.

(would have been 9½lbs on Spider's scales though LOL)

Morespiders

Reaction score
I think those dodgy scales are taking over your life Del:D
Jerry
Think your right Boi, should have been rates:D

---------- Post added at 11:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

(would have been 9½lbs on Spider's scales though LOL)

My scales are deadly acurate Mr Jacobs, even Mr Maidment will vouch for them:D

skullsat

Reaction score
:)well done hope that's your 1st of many,beautiful fish full of fight and well worth the effort,if you really want a nice experience get a few nice handmade quills or tench floats,they glide so beautifully when the fish bite,just brought myself some new handmade ones,going back to the float fishing this year.