£30bn bill to clean water? - New tax I bet

The bad one

Reaction score
Why are you treating this subject so lightly? If you don't understand the science behind it then shut the uk up, or research it so you fully understand it!

You all bleat on about river stocks being depleted, endocrine disruptors are the biggest threat there is facing those stocks that manage to survive and actually spawn.

Every angler in the UK should be putting pressure on their Euro MP to make this happen not taking the p***!

Oh and the Angling Trust should be bringing this to it's members But like the ACA before them they ain't Tossers!

dezza

Reaction score
Why are you treating this subject so lightly? If you don't understand the science behind it then shut the uk up, or research it so you fully understand it!

You all bleat on about river stocks being depleted, endocrine disruptors are the biggest threat there is facing those stocks that manage to survive and actually spawn.

Every angler in the UK should be putting pressure on their Euro MP to make this happen not taking the p***!

Oh and the Angling Trust should be bringing this to it's members But like the ACA before them they ain't Tossers!

Absolutely 100% right Phil.

For 25 years of my life I was partly involved in the supply of speciality filtration systems to the water treatment AND pharmaceutical industries. I'll not go into too much detail here, other than to say that activated carbon will do most of what is required to remove the nasty chemicals in human sewage, and it can be done cost effectively.

The technology exists for this.

But I'm afraid that the big pharma and water supply companies are more interested in the massive bonuses that are paid to the tiny few at the top of the tree than cleaning up our rivers.

And like you I am appalled by the lack of interest by members of FM in this extremely important issue.

Come on chaps, get writing!

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
As I understand it there is already increasing use of treatment to remove excess phosphates from treated sewage returned to rivers. Whether that uses carbon filters I don't know but it is claimed that this removes nutrients beneficial to roach food (on the Wensum).

One water (5 acre lake) I've fished for many years is exceptional in that it is spring fed from the Purbeck hills. The water is chalk filtered and there is no arable farming on the hills, nor any sewage inputs. It is remarkable how free-breeding the fish are in that water, subject to cycles of warm/cold years. The only chemical imbalance has been insufficient phosphates which was rectified by the application of a calculated amount of ammonium triple phosphate.

As for the pill then the pharmaceuticals will have to dig deep. I wouldn't be surprised if these chemicals affected otters as they are apex predators much as DDT and similar affected them in the past.

dezza

Reaction score
As I understand it there is already increasing use of treatment to remove excess phosphates from treated sewage returned to rivers. Whether that uses carbon filters I don't know but it is claimed that this removes nutrients beneficial to roach food (on the Wensum).

Activated carbon will not remove dissolved phosphates. A suitable particulate filter will remove them if they are filterable particles, although it may probably require ion exchange to remove dissolved phosphates. In many cases, phosphates do not need removing.

Activated carbon will remove organic chemicals such as chlorine, chloramines, endocrine disrupters, PCBs and a whole host of other chemicals which can be harmful to aquatic life. If any of you require further info on this subject, there are some excellent technical papers you can read on the internet.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Absolutely 100% right Phil.

For 25 years of my life I was partly involved in the supply of speciality filtration systems to the water treatment AND pharmaceutical industries. I'll not go into too much detail here, other than to say that activated carbon will do most of what is required to remove the nasty chemicals in human sewage, and it can be done cost effectively.

The technology exists for this.

But I'm afraid that the big pharma and water supply companies are more interested in the massive bonuses that are paid to the tiny few at the top of the tree than cleaning up our rivers.

And like you I am appalled by the lack of interest by members of FM in this extremely important issue.

Come on chaps, get writing!

Sorry Ron,
I know quite a bit about the effects of activated carbon on some poisons/chemicals as I have been in to fish keeping for many years and use carbon in my filters sometimes to remove meds and such from the water.
I think the lack of interest stems from folk knowing that if they were to protest nothing would be done as the above poster say's the fat cats at the top are only bothered about their end of year bonuses.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Removing Phosphate from sewage effluents or Phosphate stripping was first undertaken in rivers feeding the Norfolk Broads in an attempt to reduce the phytoplankton and turbidity of these waters and to try to reinstate the diverse and abundant water plants, including water lilies that formerly made the area a haven for wildlife and fish.

NACA Information Sheets - An Introduction to Phosphate Stripping

Im not sure why it is now being promoted on the Upper Wensum, unless it is to reduce "blanket weed" - filamentous algae which might be smothering water crowfoots etc.

dezza

Reaction score
Sorry Ron,

What have you got to be sorry about Mark?

Water treatment and the reduction of contaminants is a very complex issue. I was only involved in two aspects of this subject and that was the filtration of solid particulate and the adsorption of certain specific substances on various grades of activated carbon. As regards endocrine disrupters, I was responsible years ago in supplying a small duplex 3 stage cartridge system for the filtration of process water prior to final water treatment in a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant. The ops manager involved wouldn't tell me what had to be removed from the water, but the company involved are one of the largest manufacturers of contraceptives in the world.

And the system was not a big one, the initial capital cost was only £5,000.00 with a running cost of only £600.00 a month.

Yet they still baulked at the cost!

Oh and by the way, I have sold thousands of filter cartridges in my time to retailers and distributors supplying people in the fish farming field world wide. We didn't supply end users in this field of operation.

Last edited:

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
thanks for posting this up fella
love the spiel from the water and pharma reps, particularly that even though feminisation of fish had occured, it had made no difference to spawning, yeah right, I bet they use a single sperm and lily of the valley when they try to fertilise their partners egg

jasonbean1

Reaction score
at a guess the ea havent got a clue how much of a problem this is...they've been putting the WFD off for years cos they couldnt stomach it.....

it's ok we have otters in our lovely clean rivers, the thames which as won competitions and soon we'll have beaver!

hey we're on top of the world...:eek:

wouldnt you just love to be in a top bod ea meeting..what next on our rivers then :eek:mg:?