Kids tackle?

S

Simon Luxton

Hey all - first post....

I've been fishing all my life and am reasonably accomplished at most forms of course and game fishing but it's so long ago I can't remember how I started other than remembering untangling knots for hours on end by the Thames etc /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Last summer I took my eldest son (now 6yrs old) to a commercial carp fishery so he could get the sensation of something tugging his line and he loved it albeit with my help holding the butt of his rod otherwise he'd have been pulled in!!

I want to get him some gear for his birthday and am looking for a general rod and reel that a 6 year old could handle. Nothing too heavy but obviously reasonably robust.

Can anyone recommend anything? I was thinking a lightweight 8 or 9ft rod and small reel but it would need to be strong enough to handle carp to 6lbs?

We'd be doing a mixture of carp bashing, river chub fishing and general course stuff so need a jack of all trades type rod.

Thanks very much

Simon

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

The John Wilson Avon Quiver would suit your needs Simon. It comes at 11' extendable to 13'.

Macca_EFC

Reaction score
Rather dubious thread title simon....think Baz is probably right though, or take him along with you to a tackle shop to so your son can hold some rods and see what feels best for him?

L

Laurie Harper

JW rod at 11ft may be a bit of a handful for a 6 year old. Have a look at so"puddle chucker" type rods. They're shorter (@9ft) float rods intended for carp/commercial fishery use.Sturdy and light - a number of firms make them.

The Gooner

Reaction score
Oops - didn't notice how the title could be read... Would edit but seems like I can't once a reply has been posted /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

Will check out the avon quiver

The Gooner

Reaction score
Laurie - thanks for the input, that's certainly set me off on the right track. I had a look around at the Puddle Chuckers which I couldn't find for much less than £65 for the Drennan versions. Whilst they look ideal for the job (might get one myself /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif), they're probably too nice for the hands of a 6 year old who will probably trip over it, step on it, point into the ground whilst walking..... etc etc.

So while trying to keep in line with the size, weight etc, what would you think of these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10FT-FEEDER-ROD-WITH-3-TIPS-BAG-AWESOME-BUY_W0QQitemZ110218381141QQihZ001QQcategoryZ1495QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I myself wouldn't bother buying him a rod and reel, i would go out and buy him amargin pole which you can easily find for £100 or less, they will handle carp to over 6lb and will reduce the amount of tangles you'll get with rod and reel. No casting, better bait presentation and easier to plumb up for a beginner. Worth considering and when he's not fishing with you, you can use it yourself. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

The Gooner

Reaction score
That's also not a bad idea. Might do both that and a rod so when he's fed up of tangles he can switch to the pole. Could you recommend something sturdy and inexpensive?

L

Laurie Harper

Hi Gooner, The rods you asked about look OK (although I'm chary of buying through eBay, but that's just my cautious nature). It may be worth asking your local tackle shop about cheaper shorter float rods. My local shop showed me some for around £30 - distributed by Leeda I think - which were around £30/9 ftand very usable (remarkable for the money, in fact). Fox make a margin pole which is good value.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Have a look at dragon carp or used tackle I am sure they do a ten foot model that might fit the bill and probably about a tenner.

Gavin28

Reaction score
I have one of those Middy power whips you've linked to. They will certainly handle 6lb carp, i've had carp to 8lb and barbel to 5lb (fought better than a 12lb carp!) on mine, and would be happy with a 10lb+ carp on it.

You get two elasticated tips with different strenth elastics, so its really easy to go from fishing for silver fish, to fishing for carp if they move into your swim.

The "free" 1/2 metre extention makes to pole to heavy to hold for long periods and unbalances the pole.

The disgorger and pole rig are both good quailty, in fact the pole rig is the only rig i've not managed to trash yet!

Mine didn't come with the landing net or handle so can't comment on them.

The only thing i dont like is the way the elastics are fitted, they areanchored with a swivel in the tip section rather than a bung in the number 2 or 3 section like normal. But having said that, mines never cracked or anything so it must be OK, and it would be easy to change.

They also do a 4 meter version if you need a shorter one.

The Gooner

Reaction score
Gavin,

Thanks for the input - I'm think though that if you find it too heavy with the extension, would a slender 6 year old boy find this pole too difficult to manage even without the extension in?

W

Wolfman Woody

Gooner,

I started taking my step-grandson fishing a few years back, he was around ten at that time.

I got for him an Abu Enticer float rod at 12foot, you can see it in action in this article. He had hooked a carp at around 10lbs on it (he eventually lost it) so it will definitely handle fish to 6lbs. Now 12 foot might be a bit of a handfull for the lad, but the beauty of the Enticer is you can get it in 10 foot length also. It's a classy little rod too considering it's at the entry level and you could use it (don't tell the boy) if you go on your own and find you need a very short float rod to get under the trees with.

I've taught a few young kids from 6 upwards and believe me they soon get the hang of casting and working a 10-12foot rod. Just a cheap little reel will be adequate, something like a Daiwa Crossfire.

That will last him years and when he grows up big enough, he will (like you most probably will) use it to fish tight swims where a short rod is required.

W

Wolfman Woody

The other option is to get him a very short whip for now.

These are 4metres in length and weigh and cost next to nothing, but would be a bit of a handful with a carp on the end.

Gavin28

Reaction score
Gooner,

maybe it would, my 6 year old son uses mine sometimes, but we use a rod rest on the front to support some of the wieght. I help him bring fish in too, because he cant ship it in on his own.

Now my son has a 3 metre elasticated whip, weighs next to nothing and he can handle it on his own, wouldn't like to get a 6lb carp on it though, he got a 3lb barbel on it and it took ages to bring it in, had no control over the fish at all.

I also have a 7 year old brother, he uses a 9ft rod without too much trouble, i think hes used a 6 metre pole too, not too sure how he manages that though as he fishes with his dad.

Personally i think if its carp your son is after catching, a rod and reel is a better idea, take him to your local tackle shop and let him try some out, shakespeare do some cheap rods which are quite decent and heres a link to a cheap Daiwa match reel Daiwa Phantom Reel Ebay. £11 inc delivery.