does anyone fish the method feeder for smaller species

nicky

Reaction score
Id like to know if anyone has been successful using the method for smaller species like roach for instance.

Maybe using a lighter ground bait and maggots or something similar so that it breaks down quicker.

i usually use 4mm pellets with a handful of liquidised vitalin (helps mix to bind and give extra attraction) but usually only catch carp, larger bream and tench.

peterjg

Reaction score
Yes, a form of method feeder can be used for roach. I sometimes use flavoured ground-up Vitalin which is squashed around a the lead. The lead is a 1oz barrel lead with a button on one end and a swivel on the other - held tightly with power gum. The ground-up Vitalin breaks down slowly. The hook length is usually about 8ins long and is on a helirig. Baits can be 10mm mini boilies, pellets, maggots, etc, either hair rigged or directly on the hook depending on the bait being used. It is not species selective - it will catch roach, bream, tench and carp. It is best used with a bait which you know will stay on - not crust, paste, flake.

On the Thames using this method I have also caught big chub and 20+ carp - never tried it on a small river.

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 00:58 ---------- Previous post was at 00:57 ----------

PS: Don't put the bait in the Vitalin when you cast in.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
For roach and skimmers I use groundbait and single dead maggot on the method feeder. I have also had some good days with live maggot but not buried in the feeder, just hanging loose...

agamemnon

Reaction score
i spent yesterday fishing for bream and tench on my local ressy fishing with a 15g method feeder and a mix of 3 different types of groundbait and corn topped with a red maggot or a big bunch of maggots on a size 10 hook. the biggest bream i caught all day was maybe 1/2lbs i was constantly catching small skimmers and roach all day long

dezza

Reaction score
Last year I caught a fair number of roach, dace, perch and a couple of biggish bream (5lbs) on the Trent using a Drennan 15 gm flat feeder fished close in using hemp mixed with a standard (Swim Stim) method mix to stiffen it up.

The hook length was about 3 inches long using 5 lb fluorocarbon with a 16 Animal eyed hook.

Robert Woods

Reaction score
I've been using medium size Preston method feeder for a couple of years catching roach, skimmers as well as bigger fish. Once tried it with corn on hook for bream and had barbel nites off nice roach...:eek:. It's a nice simple cost effective way of fishing that I'm going to try for carp & tench in the larger size.

skullsat

Reaction score
For roach and bream i just use a preston feeder with liquidized bread,dead maggots and hemp maggots on the hook,sometimes add chopped worm and worm and the hook.