Greys Platinum carp rods

John Southgate

Reaction score
hello all. I'm looking to replace my old Fox rods with something special that will last. I've read some great reviews of these little blighters but also some reliability issues. Does anyone have an opion / experience. Also, I can get these for about £170 eachso what else would you recommend i consider?

thanks

C

Cakey

I played with them all ,so its all down to how much you want to spend !

MarkW

Reaction score
i was looking at those before i got my new rods but in the end i bought freesprit rods i just liked the feel of them better then the greys rods, its all downto you really on how they feel to you etc

John Southgate

Reaction score
cheers. my problem is getting to a shop to feel them in my hands as live in central london. the fmj's do look nice and reckon worth spending as how often do I buy new rods?!! i don't do a huge amounf of long range fishing, but that might be somethign to do with my current rods and casting technique /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

get down somelakes and get a feel .....most anglers dont mind showing their tackle off

Richard Turner 3

Reaction score
hi john i swopped my old greys x flights last summer for a set of plats and i find them an excellent rod but like people say its a personal thing but iv never had any problems with them a little advise thou climaxtackle are doing the plats for 159 quid now so shop around hope this helps but do try and handle some before you buy if poss cheers

R

Roto Fryer 1

greys give a lifetime warranty so reliability should never be a problem.

harrisons better rodsthan century any day

C

Cakey

why is that mr roto ???????????????????????????????????????????????????

F

Frothey

just 'cos.

£170 per rod and you're into custom build territory, speak to someone like nick buss or bruce ashby. dont be paying loads of money for something that costs a tenner that has a warranty where you actually pay for the replacement, but think you've got a good deal /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

R

Roto Fryer 1

cant remember what my custom built chimeras cost but vic gibson built them, he does century too but says they are overpriced for what they are and Harrisons are a better rod. but each to their own.

which rods cost a tenner and which warranty are you talking about Dave?

F

Frothey

one of the brands mentioned above (non-uk blanks) buy their finished rods in at about a tenner, sell for much, much more than that. break a rod/tip or whatever and they will unconditionally replace the part for a £15 "admin" fee - effectively what they cost anyway.

fair enough - they dont have to do it, but its not that good a deal really.......

R

Roto Fryer 1

the only Grey's rod i have is a spod rod and it is a superb piece of kit

F

Frothey

didnt say they werent good..... saying that i've got a bruce ashby rocketeer that's got to be getting on for 10 years old and still going strong, i use it for bass fishing as well.

R

Roto Fryer 1

it can't be the greys as they are uk blanks.

so that leaves ..................... vrije geest

translate from Dutch to English here

F

Frothey

it can't be the greys as they are uk blanks.

are they.....? they definatelyused to be, now they say they are "assembled" in the uk. started about the same time they started offering the lifetime warranty. Hardy's still have the design input though.......