Walking the Walk for Barbel

Reaction score
Once again Sean, a great read and a lot to think about.

I managed (finally) to get on the Lower Severn this last weekend and I couldn't stop thinking about worms.

The seagulls, crows etc on the flood plain behind me were clearly having a feast on them and other naturals, in and around thevast pools of floodwater, and I didn't have any in my bait bag...doh!

Needless to say, one knock in five hours on pellet and boilie chops, and no barbel. If only...

Totally agree about Source, superb stuff and good enough to eat yourself.

F

Fred Bonney

Good read Sean, as usual.

I think I know your location too,keep threatening to go back to the Ouse.

One day soon.

As for worms,I've been using lobworms on my last two or three trips out, in the flooded Trent.

They have performed, when pellets and meat have failed.

Pellets in the open end though, with a little something extra added.

Source needs a chance from me, I think.

Great stuff.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Nice read Sean. On the hard days I keep telling myself, 'it only takes one bite'. Good to see you putting te effort in.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Southern Softies..........pfffffft! I couldn't believe it when Jeff txt me a pic of his rod pointing at the Avon in FULL flood!

Very thought provoking article Sean, I really enjoyed reading it, food for thought too.

Shame you didn't have any maggots.

B

Bully

Yup - nice read. I for one am a I signed up member of the southern softies. One look at your first picture and I nearly didn't carry on reading, let alone wanting to fish there.

.....back to my slippers.

S

Sean Meeghan

Thanks guys!

There was a little toungue in cheekyness to the title as we were in the area for other reasons, but we could have gone straight home. I didn't bother buying maggots as I really didn't think that we'd be able to fish on the Sunday. I do suspect that worms are a viable alternative to maggots, particularly in a big flood like that. We could see fish tailing in the flooded meadows opposite as they foraged for worms. It was just like a cold weather variant of bone fish patrolling the flats for crabs and shrimps!

nicky

Reaction score
alway a good read even though i'm still a barbel virgin, hopefully that will change soon as i am learning to drive and only live 20 minutes from the river taff

njb51

Reaction score
Well thats it then! I'm now inspired to get off my arse and get down to Throop this weekend, no matter how much extrawater the Stour is carrying, making conditions looks impossible!

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Excellent high quality feature, always posing questions, if only the printed media had these qualities.

Chris Owen 2

Reaction score
Great article - never really considered worms for barbel but will be sticking a tub in the bag next time im out.