Thread locking'.

• Thread starter alan whittington
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alan whittington

Has anyone else noticed,or is it only me,how a few gents seem to escalate arguments to deliberately close threads that are not running particularly favourable for them or theirs,if its only me,i apologise in advance for my imagination running riot.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Alan,

Threads are 'locked' for all manner of reasons, the least of which is not that the Origial Poster requests it.

Other times you will find threads are locked, or even deleted if the contributions sink to personal or insulting levels.

The moderation team try to let the debate develop but draw the line at personal insults.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed,or is it only me,how a few gents seem to escalate arguments to deliberately close threads that are not running particularly favourable for them or theirs,if its only me,i apologise in advance for my imagination running riot.

Not noticed Alan,
What I have noticed though is how some folk Argue for argue's sake! I have one guy that seems to love having a go at me when he get's the chance (Albeit in a very subtle way) I just ignore the thread after that as these folk are not worth getting upset about ;)

sagalout

Reaction score
Very few threads are locked. Alan, is it always the same posters that cause the locking? If it isn't then it's your imagination :)

A

alan whittington

Alan,

Threads are 'locked' for all manner of reasons, the least of which is not that the Origial Poster requests it.

Other times you will find threads are locked, or even deleted if the contributions sink to personal or insulting levels.

The moderation team try to let the debate develop but draw the line at personal insults.

Im not questioning the 'mods' reasons for locking,that is written in stone,its the 'using' of moderation to silence criticism,the last thread quickly escalated to locking.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Im not questioning the 'mods' reasons for locking,that is written in stone,its the 'using' of moderation to silence criticism,the last thread quickly escalated to locking.

I do understand Alan, and believe me it is often a difficult task to know (or to decide) when to close a thread. Usually we will only do this after discussing it with at least one other moderator, unless the OP requests closure.

You are right though, there appears to be a (thankfully) small number of contributors who seem to know when and how to put a thread at risk

A

alan whittington

Not noticed Alan,
What I have noticed though is how some folk Argue for argue's sake! I have one guy that seems to love having a go at me when he get's the chance (Albeit in a very subtle way) I just ignore the thread after that as these folk are not worth getting upset about ;)

Mark,if you and 'he' have differing views,characters,even backgrounds it can happen,i think in our lives we all have these scenarios,it seems strange to me just how easy it would be to manipulate a locking,if the right buttons were pushed.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark,if you and 'he' have differing views,characters,even backgrounds it can happen,i think in our lives we all have these scenarios,it seems strange to me just how easy it would be to manipulate a locking,if the right buttons were pushed.

Alan,

When we see an obvious case then we try to delete the post rather than lock the thread.

It does help that we tend to know the main protagonists though.

MRWELL

Reaction score
Being a mod on another site i know how things sometimes looks,kind of police state when threads get locked up or deleted but when members can't hold a civil debate without being personal or just being argumentative then action has to be taken.

I can't comment on threads on here being locked because i don't know what they are but sometimes it is best to lock things up before they get too far out of control and things are said that can and will cause unrest,debates can be held in a civil manner without the insults so really it is up to the members to realise that then the mods would not have to lock things up.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you banned the words 'barbel, association, meeting, society and bully then half the problems would disappear overnight.
You might also want to put a moratorium on certain posters to stop them posting after a certain time of night. Ideally every computer/communication device would come with a breathalyser to prevent drunks from posting.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Maybe the posters who have been warned should have a little icon next to their avatar to warn others and to encourage people to dobb on them further?. This little icon could become a badge of honour and protagonists sporting it could do battle on dedicated threads whilst the rest of us could vote at the end as to which ones should be fed to the lions.

Simon K

Reaction score
Ideally every computer/communication device would come with a breathalyser to prevent drunks from posting.

Damn good thinking.

I'll see your sobriety test and raise you a perspicacity test, too. :wh

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Damn good thinking.

I'll see your sobriety test and raise you a perspicacity test, too. :wh

If you could manage to do that you could retire to the Bahamas on the proceeds.

Simon K

Reaction score
Shhhh.....I was just trying to keep them quiet for a few days trying to type in to google;

perpsi...........

perspci........

pespica......

Damn. Perpicasi.....

Perispa.....Blast.

Perspicito............

Golffordummies.com

:)

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you banned the words 'barbel, association, meeting, society and bully then half the problems would disappear overnight.
You might also want to put a moratorium on certain posters to stop them posting after a certain time of night. Ideally every computer/communication device would come with a breathalyser to prevent drunks from posting.

I think you should add Dragon c..p to that list too :D :D :D

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Yes :).........

:D I would have loved to have been apart of the Barbel wars ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.