Flaven lures!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The local tackle shop up here in Coppull has a range of lures from the Scandinavian company Flaven (Matt Hayes's new pals!) and I could not believe how cheap they are, they have a quality look about them too, But, are they any good? As anyone else seen or even better, used this brand?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Yeah, Fladen lures, I tried the odd one several years ago. I have to say I wasn't overly impressed, except for the surface poppers, but they did need a change of hooks. Maybe the hook problem has been addressed on the later models.

waggy

Reaction score
I've had several kinds of Fladen gear in the past 2 years and the quality has been lamentable. The individual components seem to be OK but the assembly quality means that it comes apart all too readily. If you buy Fladen check the tightness of everything glued or screwed.

freebird7

Reaction score
I've had several kinds of Fladen gear in the past 2 years and the quality has been lamentable. The individual components seem to be OK but the assembly quality means that it comes apart all too readily. If you buy Fladen check the tightness of everything glued or screwed.

Agreed. Most of the Fladen gear Ive tried has been substandard you tend to get what you pay for. For me the one exception is their PVA bags and string... theres nothing to really go wrong and its cheap as chips but reels, lures and nets have all let me down in the past.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You sure you dont mean Fladen, Mark ?

Yes mate, I thought it didn't sound right :D :D

---------- Post added at 05:26 ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 ----------

Yeah, Fladen lures, I tried the odd one several years ago. I have to say I wasn't overly impressed, except for the surface poppers, but they did need a change of hooks. Maybe the hook problem has been addressed on the later models.

Derek, I am not sure but I think I saw that some of the lures had VMC hooks! you would think that a Swedish company would produce top quality products, but then again, you get what you pay for :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've heard of the brand but never used any of their stuff & from what's been said I dont think I've missed much. I'm not a big MH fan but quite what he is doing here seems a bit odd. If he's gone on a Bosman I think he just signed for Kidderminster. There's a lot of Fladen stuff on Tacklebargains which ought to be enough to put anybody off.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've heard of the brand but never used any of their stuff & from what's been said I dont think I've missed much. I'm not a big MH fan but quite what he is doing here seems a bit odd. If he's gone on a Bosman I think he just signed for Kidderminster. There's a lot of Fladen stuff on Tacklebargains which ought to be enough to put anybody off.

Skippy, I think MH doesn't know what he is doing sometimes, he leaves Shimano after starting is own company (apparently now saying he has nothing to do with TFG!) and falling out with them big style! And now he has gone over to this little known company from Sweden, probably persuaded by his new Scandinavian wife no doubt ;) Eventually I think he will just disappear in to the vast expanse of the Norwegian fiords never to grace our TV screens again, with a bit of luck ;)

Last edited:

the wise one

Reaction score
Does the quote below ring any bells?

"I know that some people have to budget for their hobbies and I do appreciate that and it's none of my business what folk buy with their hard earned. I just have my own idea on what constitutes budget tackle and what constitutes utter rubbish...Sorry, but that's just me"

That was you talking about Dragon Carp- I'd say the say applies to Fladen.

T.W.O

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Eventually I think he will just disappear in to the vast expanse of the Norwegian fiords never to grace our TV screens again, with a bit of luck

Hvordan kan du si det om fint elskelig Matt?
Jeg har hatt en norsk kone, så jeg aerlig sympatiserer med han

Han forsoker bare å lage en levende tross alt sagt og gjort

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Det er alt vel og bra, men med pengene gjør han du skulle tro at han ville hatt sine tenner fikset nå.

Yes, too true! The teeth are his trademak though . . . . .

The difference Matt is that having lived there for 15 years I don't need a translation site LOL

My German is coming on leaps and bounds too now that I'm in hamburg . . . .

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does the quote below ring any bells?

"I know that some people have to budget for their hobbies and I do appreciate that and it's none of my business what folk buy with their hard earned. I just have my own idea on what constitutes budget tackle and what constitutes utter rubbish...Sorry, but that's just me"

That was you talking about Dragon Carp- I'd say the say applies to Fladen.

T.W.O

I am not slagging this company off mate! I was just asking if anybody had tried it ;)

---------- Post added at 10:16 ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 ----------

Yes, living in a country is a huge help when learning a new language.

Come to Derbyshire Chaps and try and learn our speak...Clever buggers :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've only ever seen Fladen gear in Boyes Stores. This shop isn't exactly thick on the ground south of the Humber. For those that haven't had the pleasure, imagine House of Fraser after a takeover by Primark and you're about there.

All the relaunches, rebrandings and Matt Hayes endorsements in the world aren't likely to be able undo the damage done by being available in such outlets.
On top of that, from the Fladen stuff I've seen, I'd sooner shop at Dragon Carp.;):D

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've only ever seen Fladen gear in Boyes Stores. This shop isn't exactly thick on the ground south of the Humber. For those that haven't had the pleasure, imagine House of Fraser after a takeover by Primark and you're about there.

All the relaunches, rebrandings and Matt Hayes endorsements in the world aren't likely to be able undo the damage done by being available in such outlets.
On top of that, from the Fladen stuff I've seen, I'd sooner shop at Dragon Carp.;):D

Sam,
In the 70s we used to have a shop in town called Stephenson's Arcade, they sold everything from cheap air guns (can you remember the GAT GUN?) to pen knives and all sorts of other ''outdoor'' stuff in between! Us kids looked on it as a sort of Aladdin's cave...Then we grew up! thank god that kind of store doesn't exist anymore.

I can't understand why Mr Hayes's has gone over to a company that only seems to sell cheap tat, Looks like he is going the same way as most other D list celebrities :D