FAO Admin - New Cookies Laws

maceo

Reaction score
The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) (Amendment) Regulations 2011 (UK Regulations) provide that certain information must be given to a site's visitors and the user must give his or her consent to the placing of the cookies.

These new laws came into force on 26th May 2012, but I don't see any information or consent boxes appearing on this site so far.

Will this be happening soon?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Please note, our current "Cookie Policy" appears on the Forums home page, scroll down to bottom right of the page, then click.

Here are the current wordings:

"How do we use cookies on this website?
We use a number of different cookies on our site. The following list describes the cookies we use on this site and what we use them for. We currently operate an ‘implied consent’ policy which means that we assume you are happy with this usage. If you are not happy with this usage, then you should not use this site"

I have however passed your post onto the Technical staff for their review and comment.

Last edited:

InteraX

Reaction score
pklease note, our current "Cookie Policy" appears on the Forums home page, scroll down to bottom right of the page, then click.

Here are the current wordings:

"How do we use cookies on this website?
We use a number of different cookies on our site. The following list describes the cookies we use on this site and what we use them for. We currently operate an ‘implied consent’ policy which means that we assume you are happy with this usage. If you are not happy with this usage, then you should not use this site"

I have however passed your post onto the Technical staff for their review and comment.

Peter,

I don't think this policy will wash with the ICO. Implied consent is not adequate anymore. If you read this, the quote from the ICO's office is pretty clear on the matter.

'We’ve been saying that we expect organisations to be on the path to compliance – which means that UK websites must provide visitors with sufficient information to make a decision on whether they are happy for a cookie to be placed on their device and obtain consent before placing a cookie.'