Cheap waterproofs, is there such a thing?

murv

Reaction score
I'm sick of getting soaked now and as we march into Summertime, it's only going to get worse.
I've tried a few cheapie waterproof jackets, most are OK for a couple of sessions then start to leak.
Anyone recommend a decent one?
I'd like something think and lightweight for Summer use, then I can layer up under it in the Winter.
Although I'm after spending as little as possible (who isn't) I also want to stay dry so don't mind paying out for something decent if it works.

Any long term recommendations?

Bluenose

Reaction score
Yes .... get onto British Army Issue goretex jackets and trousers.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you considered a Poncho Murv?

They are relatively lightweight and usually totally waterproof as well.

You ought to be able to source one for less than £25.00

agamemnon

Reaction score
get on ebay and buy yourself a set of british army gortex, you cant go to far wrong with this gear and its light enough to fold up and stick into a small pocket on your rucksack

murv

Reaction score
Many thanks guys, I'll have a look at the ex army kit, excellent idea :)

I did consider a poncho, but I found them to be too flappy and annoying when walking so I think they'd get annoying when fishing

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What about a chub suit (jacket, fleece and bib and brace for £99!
I don't know how much Army gear costs these day's but my Gore-tex jacket cost me over 300 quid and I don't want to be sticking hooks in that :eek:mg:

benny samways

Reaction score
Sprayway are an English company that sell Goretex clothing alot cheaper than most of the European companies.

You can get an excellent jacket (with removable fleece) for about £150ish. Thats brand new, they do over trousers etc aswell which are all good quality. Thats not really cheap but will save you buying twice, thrice etc

Without the fleece its perfect for summer, once into autumn stick the fleece back in. Layer up underneath this and you have an excellent winter jacket too.

Other than that ex-army. Im put off this by the fact it is all sold as second hand and I dont like the idea of sitting in someone elses clothes.

ETA:

Is chub stuff Gore-tex or Chubs version of Gore-tex (if that makes sense?)?

sagalout

Reaction score
Army gortex for me, I have british army trousers and german jacket. The german jacket was a lot cheaper than the british version.

Cost wise me trousers where given to me by a mate and the jacket was £25 including delivery of ebay. The jackets are available cheaper if you are smaller than me but my 6ft 18 stone sylph like figure demands the larger sizes.

Being army gear it is very well made and hard wearing. I have had the trousers for 3 years now and they are still water proof.

murv

Reaction score
Many thanks all, I ordered an army jacket earlier, don't know why I didn't think of it before. As a teenager I practically lived in the stuff for messing around camping/fishing etc and it lasted forever.

As above, it was sub £30.00 so if it doesn't do the job I'll have a look at the Chub gear and spend a bit more

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sprayway are an English company that sell Goretex clothing alot cheaper than most of the European companies.

My first Gortex jacket is Spayway and it's still going strong after 26 years :)

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Is chub stuff Gore-tex or Chubs version of Gore-tex (if that makes sense?)?

people use the Goretex name as a generic term these days, but no, Chub are not licensed by The Gore corporation to use their products.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As above, it was sub £30.00 so if it doesn't do the job I'll have a look at the Chub gear and spend a bit more

If it's genuine Goretex mate it will last years...There is no product on the market that can touch it for durability ;)

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

That's because gortex is just a PTFE membrane - the patent ran out some time ago so there are now other brands on the market.

Goretex is still the best PTFE product out there Matt, I have a RAB jacket that uses the E-Vent membrane and its not a patch on Goretex!

flightliner

Reaction score
Army goretex jacket/trews for me. google Denbigh army supplies.
Also, if you can find one , an Italian army two piece suit thats issued similar to our lads will get a poncho.
Not Goretex but its ripstop, totally dry in any conditions and if you're only out for the day any condensation isnt noticeable, one plus point is the camo's really good and its got pockets which is a bit dissapointing with the British jobbo,s.

If its layering try googling "Transworld" and look at the Swedish cold weather trews at £12, lovely and warm.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a Sprayway Jacket. It's the dogs grollocks. Got mine from Go Outdoors...been looking for matching troos for a while.

As Lord Paul and others will confirm I also have a Sundridge Bib and Brace Set (the almost legendary blue 1980's disco matchman's outfit!!) which is excellent..tend to only use in extreme conditions...

But its the Sprayway that is always in the car....can't fault it!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a Sprayway Jacket. It's the dogs grollocks. Got mine from Go Outdoors...been looking for matching troos for a while.

As Lord Paul and others will confirm I also have a Sundridge Bib and Brace Set (the almost legendary blue 1980's disco matchman's outfit!!) which is excellent..tend to only use in extreme conditions...

But its the Sprayway that is always in the car....can't fault it!

I have wore Sprayway for years Paul, but in the last couple of years they have lost there way a little but looks like they are still hanging on! The British outdoor industry has taken a bashing in the last few years, Berghaus sold out to Sports Direct, (Yes its true!) and Iconic Karrimor and Mountain Equipment went to American corporations! We still have Buffalo and Rab in Sheffield and they seem to be doing OK (For now!)
It's a bloody shame what's happening to our manufacturing industries :(

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark

Sports Direct sell loads of Karimor stuff - are you sure it was Burgaus that sold out to them? I don't see Bergaus stuff in SD.

Sorry matt got my sports shops mixed up!
Berghaus was bought out by the portland group who own JD sports! Karrimor used to make some of the best rucksacks in the world but they have gone right down hill in the last few years.
Sports world (now Sports Direct) bought out Field and Trek, that's where I got mixed up! Christ, no one knows who owns what these days...Its all very confusing :)

Last edited:

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
If you want cheapy cheap, small and well packable, I bought some craghoppers packable troos and jacket for about £40 from uttings.

I needed them for work the other day and I wore them for a few hours and the didn't let water in and I didn't sweat that much, considering I sweat like priest coming out of a brothel at the best of times, so breathability is reasonable.

Packs down to a very small size too.

Deanos

Reaction score
Another vote for the ex army gortex wet weather gear.
I got mine off ebay, £40 saw me with the kegs and jacket.

I will say take time to read the adds as its not all top qaulity, but bargins are there if you put a little time in.

I re proofed the kit when it arrived, and its perfecto.

PS. The kegs are brill, big draw cord waste so you can get bulky warm trousers under them in winter.