Spod and marker rods and reels

John Newman

Reaction score
Interested in purchasing a spod and marker rod plus suitable reels, however do not have a big budget, can anybody advise what to buy or offer any advice.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

A few options here John.
  1. Don't skimp on the marker rod. buy a purpose built rod. I think the Fox one is about £80
  2. I used a Dragon Carp rod for spodding (£10)
Alternatively use one of your carp rods as a marker rod, and mark your line. Or use the spod on the spod rod as a marker.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

They were about £20 dearer than the Fox ones Cakey. But with the Greys you get a lifetime warranty. Worth thinking about.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Chub do a fantastic Spod and Marker rod set up I have been using a pair now for many motnths and they have worked really well. They are 12' 2 peice rods with Ceramic lined eyes and a short abbrevaited butt. They retail at around £69.00 and bet of all they come ith a life time warrenty. very good rods.

As for reels the Shimano Navi XSA is a very good work horse and is very good value for monie at aroung £69.00 or so

http://smartcarping.blogspot.com/2007/12/how-to-spod.html

Tight Lines

Ian G

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I think the Chub rods are on Greys blanks aswell. In fact I'm sure they are.

C

Cakey

Baz the Chub Outkastspod rod is Greys.........................

C

Cakey

so why are they uo to 20 squids cheaper ????????????????????????????

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I got the rod from Mullarkys. They might still have them on offer. I think it was 2.5 test curve. Good enough for a pocket rocket at 60 - 70 yds anyway. You could even use one for a marker float. In fact I use mine as a second marker float rod now. Once you have found your spot with the first marker rod, it is best to leave it there and have a cast around it with the second marker rod. It's much easier to plot the area like this.

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Im hoping to purchase the Greys spod and marker rods next month. Ive got Nash at the moment but they aint brill. As for reels, im hoping to get the Daiwa Emblam Spod, and i use a Browning for the marker.