PVA Advice

B

B.JOHNN

Hello again

I'm still trying to pick people's brains.As i've said before i'm new to carping and i want to use pva so just wondering whats the best type to start off(or does it matter)

Would i be better with the bags or mesh?which leads me onto the next question whats the best technique with pva for winter.

once again appreciate any feedback!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Depends what you want to put in the PVA.

Mesh will not hold PVA friendly liquids (obviously).

I use the Korda 4 Seasons mesh tubing mostly to hold pellets, crushed boilies, etc...

The Korda PVA will dissolve fine in cold water but you don't want to be overfeeding with large sticks of bait. I think some people use bags to hold a small amount of feed with some liquid flavour; the idea being to just create a scent trailthe fish can home in on whereupon they find your hookbait

B

B.JOHNN

Cheers pikey

I was leaning towards using the mesh tubing so think i'll have a blast with that!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Yes I would go for the mesh to start out with it is easier to use John,try and find the esp kit about 6.99 and the refills 3.50 they are alot cheaper than any other brand company and it is good gear.

W

Wolfman Woody

It's horses for courses.

Bags are great when you have a sloppy mix with lots of liquid like Paul says and when you want to insert the lead in the bag as well so it all goes out as a package, ie hook, lead, leader, bait, and loosefeed. Yes, that does happen.

I use both, but the important message is - don't put too much in them. Remember, they are just an added attractor and too much they feed the fish rather than it picking up your bait.

Paul H

Reaction score
The great thing about the mesh tubing is you can tie any size package you want from it; no need for a selection of bag sizes. You can get different diameters though.

Once tied you can thread your hooklength through the parcel before attaching it to the mainline or simply hook it on the hook.

If you are fishing with boilies or pellets or anything else you can get a baiting needle through which isn't wet the try PVA string. Thread it through 4 or 5 freebies that match your hookbait and put these on the hook when you cast.

It's known as a stringer and is a cheaper, easier andless wastefulway (in terms of PVA)of spreading a few loose baits around you hookbait.

B

B.JOHNN

Cheers lads some good info there.

I've seen Matt Heyes using stringers and wondered how he tied them on,now i know!

Deanos

Reaction score
Johnn,I use stringers quite a lot, and a good tip which came from Matt Hayes is to hook put the point of your hook through the pva string in order to attach, don’t tighten your bait up to the hook using a loop or tightknot(or hair if you are using one), I have had a few instances of good bites, only to retrieve and find the last bait on the stringer still attached and masking the hook alongside the hook bait.

I use stringers for all the usual baits like flavoured meat and boilies, but you could also use little blobs of cheese paste, as Paul says, anything that doesn’t have water in it.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Winter PVA use is really about a small high attract bag of bait. Here we have about 6, 10mm boilies with two on the hair with just a few 3 and 5 mm pellets low oil also included.
Picture033.jpg

You can make a long range PVA set up with a long chuck mix. This will include boile crumb, crushed hemp and some Special G ground bait mixed with a tin or Tuna in brine.The PVA long chuck stick is simply threaded up the leadcore leader on a helicopter rig and the hook is brought down and nicked into the top of the stick.
PICT0061.jpg

Always aim for hi attract baits with little feed. You are looking for just enough bait for a bite at a time. The pva a bags should range in size from a marble to a ping pong ball at the biggest. Also use small hook baits 6mm-8mm or 10mm even corn or maize.Tight Lines Ian G

B.JOHN

Reaction score
Cheers Ian some good tips there and appreciate the pics.

Just wondering once you've set up and picked a spot to fish is it better to cast in a few times to lay down some bait.

I've always wondered how long you leave your bait out e.g 15 mins.30 mins etc(if nothings happening)

Paul H

Reaction score
In colder weather I think the idea is bait once per bite, i.e. don't lay down a bed of bait.

Fish feed less in colder weather and a bed of bait could fill them up before they get to your hookbait; even if you catch one or two you'll be reducing the number of hungry fish at a rate of knots.

B.JOHN

Reaction score
Point taken Pikey!

I understand its a lot slower this time of year i only had 1 take last week and that came off(dam)

I was chuffed to bits when the alarm went off and the baitrunner kicked in.It didn't put me off though and i'm more determined than ever to land a nice fat carp!!!

Paul H

Reaction score
Definately get more feed down in the warmer months, it's a common practice when feeder fishing to cast a few times with no hookbait just to get a bed of bait down.

If you're fishing this way it is important to be accurate so as not to spread the bait around a wide area.

On the odd occasion that I've fished for carp in cold weather I'vehad success with corn and also Richworth Tutti Frutti pop-ups.

Trisantona

Reaction score
Try a single bait popped well off the bottom,say just below midwater,good tactic in winter.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>B.JOHN wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Cheers Ian some good tips there and appreciate the pics.

Just wondering once you've set up and picked a spot to fish is it better to cast in a few times to lay down some bait.

I've always wondered how long you leave your bait out e.g 15 mins.30 mins etc(if nothings happening)</blockquote>

Hi B.JOHN I will cast every 30 to 45 minuites. This will allow me to check the rig and to refresh the bait set up. Becuase the PVA food parcels are so I have no worries about over feeding the fish. The recast could place the bait on the nose of a hungry carp and you will get a take.

Ther are times when a bait can be left for hours out in the lake, I have been out with guys who have blanked all day and brought there rigs in only to find them badly tangled or no bait on there rigs. Now the question that is raised here is has the rig tangled on the cast or on the retreive ?. For this reason in many situations I am happy to do regular cast searching the swim or to showing fish.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ian G

B.JOHN

Reaction score
Once again thanks for the advice Ian and Trisantona.

I dont think i would leave my bait out longer than an hour anyway if nothing was happening(too impatient!!!!)

cheers