WHY DO THEY DO IT?

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
My first post may be a little controversial, but its honestly posted, as I find this topic a major irritation.

Not just on this site, but on many others coarse and sea, I regularly see this eg,-----------

I'm looking to renew my gear blah blah blah , can anybody advise which is the the best, I have a budget max of (eg) £100.

and then read replies similar to this------

Hi there *******, blah blah blah is very good, at £150, I know its a bit over your budget but would be worth the extra---

AAAAAAAAARGH!!!!

AREN'T THEY LISTENING!!!!!!!!

******** has already told them his budget is max £ 100, why do they do it???

If he has worked out he can only afford £100, whats the bl*ody point in telling him to get something outside of his budget !!!!!

I've tried to think of it as people just trying to be helpful, and giving their opinion, but it hasnt worked for ME !!! They're not listening to him !!!!!

It must be SO frustrating for *******, who then must put his head in his hands and say "what a waste of time posting that,I cant afford it !!! "

Please remember that when a person says he has a budget max, he has a budget max, and you're just wasting your time suggesting anything OVER that budget !! !

Ah, I feel better now-----------

W

Wolfman Woody

One very good reason might be (in some cases) the person's demands on the tackle. In other words the way he wants to use it might mean he will get a better rod fro the extra money.

Now I appreciate he has a budget, but take now for example, he's not going to do too much fishing before the end of the season. Then there's 3 months and in that time he might have saved the extra (esp. if he was to give up smoking or booze assuming he consumes both) and then his money would be better spent. Also, in the case of a reel he might be considering one brand where a better known brand will maintain its second hand value and therefore be the much better value buy.

Just a thought, but it always happens like you say.

F

Fred Bonney

Too right, Trevor.

I'm tempted to respond in much the same way,but those same people will say your trying to stir up trouble, Fred.

Who me?/forum/smilies/angel_smiley.gif

So, I don't bother.

Reaction score
Welcome Tom,

Superb first post mate! A good point well made... (Deep breaths, now!!)

But you obviously haven'ttried a Daiwa Tournament Baisa for light float work? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gifYou'll soon see why that credit agreement is a necessity!!!

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
Nice one ****y lol.

I AM being genuine here, and Woody, I know where you're comin from, your sentiments are just what I've tried to convince myself people are doing, but I'm sorry, I STILL believe when someone posts like that, their KEY concern is their budget, and not the potential quality of the tackle , simple common sense telling me that otherwise they wouldn't have mentioned it---------

Forums are all about an exchange of advice and opinions and they're great, but lets keep within their budget with our advice, let the revolution start HERE!!! /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

S

Stevie 12345

No, Im for telling people to spend more than their budget for the right gear.

Purchasing main items of tackle are things that you do not do every day, so if you are going pay several hundred/thousand squids for an item you may as well make sure youve got the best kit.

If you dont you'll always regret not getting that Daiwa superwoofa extra tournament beasty.

If you cany afford the item yet be patient, save a little, then buy.

Not hard

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
" Not hard " sheesh ! I personally think thats a quite arrogant statement. There are many people out there who really struggle along, and may well NOT be in a position to save up, and have to get their tackle when they've had a bit of a windfall. People like yourself, who completely ignore the key issue, are EXACTLY the people I aimed my post at, I rest my case---------

S

Stevie 12345

You completely miss the point, I understand that people struggle along and I would consider myself to be in this bracket, as are the majority of people in this country. Very few are in a position to buy the latest item of tackle on a whim.

I would imagine that some people do rely as you say 'a bit of a windfall' to buy their desired purchase but the fact is that the majority of people have to work and save up to afford to buy the small pleasures in life that make things worthwhile, that why we have to work overtime, sell items etc.

Quite often people who ask the questions on here with regard to tackle have little product knowledge and other than they have an amount of money do not realise that if they did spend a little more on some products they will get a lot more in terms of 'value for money'.

This is just providing options for the purchaser, quite often people on here who have set a budget have, after obtaining peoples advice, decided to wait on purchasing and increase their budget and buy the better value for money product.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Hi Tom, was it you that used to fish the Mississipi with a stick and a peice of string?.

only kidding mate they are all the same on here, think money grows on trees welcome by the way.

P

Paul (Brummie) Williams

I agree Tom...if you have £100 in your pocket you can't magic it to become £150 can you?

Most of them on here who think you can grew rich as Maggies working class yuppies and now think everyone has the same /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
Cheers spider, and brummie, YOU two at least, understand exactly what I'm sayin. Brummie, good choice of phrase mate, no magic wand makes £100 into £150,well said----- clap clap

As for me missing the point Steve, the phrase " burying head in sand " comes to mind----,

do you really not see? Its YOU who are missing the point . IF a man has a budget max ,its a MAX !!!!! AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHH

S

Stevie 12345

You need to see the bigger picture/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Welcome to the site

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
Cheers Steve /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Trouble is, for somebody on a tight budget, there quite often IS no bigger picture !

The reason it bugs me so much is because quite a number of years ago, like yourself, I was in that position, and remember only too well that my budget was my budget, and that I would have to settle for tackle that was at the lower end, but my view was at least I was going fishing. I could not have stretched that budget to save my life, so can see that anyone looking for that sort of advice would be annoyed at getting " its a bit more than your budget, but worth it " replies---

I understand the "giving options" phrase, but if its outta their budget, it AINT an option !!

W

Wolfman Woody

"Most of them on here who think you can grew rich as Maggies working class yuppies and now think everyone has the same"

Sometimes I do wish that for all her faults, Maggie Thatcher was still around and controlling things. I was better off then. Right now, I wouldn't mind a wage of any description so some of us are no longer yuppies.

If anyone has to work to a budget (usually NOWT) it's me these days. Why do you think I don't go on the fish-ins? I have to think twice before I pull inmto a garage these days.

If someone asks for a recommendation with a budget I will recommend within that budget, but I may suggest something a lot better if the difference is just one or two pounds more.

Edit: TIP - I bid for good deals on Ebay if I want something cheaper.

TOM SAWYER

Reaction score
Now THATS something I CAN agree with !

A pound or 2 is neither here or there, but we've all seen it where Joe Bloggs suggests something 50 or 60 above budget, NO chance !

I also agree on ebay, nicked a few good bargins off there-------- /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Thing is to be realistic

xxx has £100 to spend - he wants a rod, seatbox, reel, umbrella, floats,line ect then telling him that £150 will get what he wants but £100 wont is ok

If xxx say £100 to buy 3 carp rods then tell them which rods he can buy for that and that these WILL catch fish. £150 will get better rods and might catch more fish if better castin range.

Not just carp but I picked that as an example

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
"Never knew you were poor Woody £2 on its way to you,"

Nice sentiment morespiders, will you send him another £2 from me.

The Monk

Reaction score
Hi Tom welcome aboard mater, I think the problem with what you describe is that the person who has a tight budget of say £100 may not have enough money to buy what he is asking for, so other posters suggest the actual price. The £100 budget of course is usually only relivent in time, six months down the line he may have a budget of £150 or he may have found what he wants in the second hand market, all advice should be welcomed in the spirit in which it is given, and should not be snubbed, other wise people not reply at all.