One of the great angling mysteries of all time

dezza

Reaction score
Who the heck was Patsy?

Most of us I am sure have read "Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing." In the perch section, old Crabtree catches a nice perch and then proclaims to Peter that he will take a nice perch home for Patsy - "she will never have a better fish to cook."

As a reader of Mr Crabtree in the fifties, and because I brought many a perch home to eat then, I can confirm that perch are indeed very nice to eat.

But the mystery still remains, "Who the heck WAS Patsy"?

The answer to that mystery has obviously gone the way of Bernard Venables who died some years ago. But throughout my life I had marked down this one question if I ever did run into BV, which I never did.

"Who the heck was Patsy?"

Have any of you any idea?

:confused:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Patsy was the star of another Daily Mirror column that was about cooking and household management. She was newly married to Peter who was not the same as the Peter in Mr Crabtree being a fair bit older. The only relationship between Patsy and Crabtree was that occasionally Crabtree would supply fish eg perch to Patsy to cook. Other characters in Patsy include Mum and Dad, Mrs Always and Joan Featherpenny. In the book she cooks roach supplied by Crabtree.

Patsy's adventures were put into a similar format book to the original Mr Crabtree (wire binding though) called Patsy's Reflections also published circa 1950. I have a copy as my mother received a copy from a friend when she got married.

dezza

Reaction score
Ron you posted this same thread on trad Angler's a little while ago. Did they not solve the mystery got you?

Mark certainly seems to have solved the riddle. Thanks Mark - I have myself often been asked who Patsy was?

And no, no-one on Trad Fisherman came up with a reasonable answer. But Mark has one of the best collections of angling magazines in the country.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Mark certainly seems to have solved the riddle. Thanks Mark - I have myself often been asked who Patsy was?

And no, no-one on Trad Fisherman came up with a reasonable answer. But Mark has one of the best collections of angling magazines in the country.

Err, you must have forgotten to read the answers of TFF Ron:eek:mg::D
Jerry

Patsy's Reflections, the Daily Mirror book of the cookery strip, shows her as a housewife with a husband Peter. Mr Crabtree sometimes supplies her with perch and other fish, but isn't a member of the family. Patsy's Reflections Learn to Cook by Pictures (1946 UK) comic books ...

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
"And no, no-one on Trad Fisherman came up with a reasonable answer."

"No I didn't read them Jerry."

:wh :eek:mg:

dezza

Reaction score
And by the way I was not kicked off Traditional Fisherman. I left of my own free will, mainly because I have nothing in common with most members.

Ahoy Shelob!

Reaction score
Ron The Hat Clay said:
And by the way I was not kicked off Traditional Fisherman. I left of my own free will, mainly because I have nothing in common with most members.

Ahoy Shelob!

Nothing in common????

What about angling for starters?

Perhaps it's because on a thread about Wallis casting you chose to point out that you use the best reel for trotting- a Daiwa TDR....

There was no response to that comment was there.

noknot

Reaction score
They are OK for kak handers.......whhooo I'm forgetting, you are kak handed!

The other bloke who likes Mitchell 300s is Chris Ball who is also kak handed.

:D

Sorry - 301s
Love it Ron, I just cant understand your inspiration and thought process, if there is one at all?:eek:mg: