working over weed!

madmatz

Reaction score
can anyone help me out with a few lure suggestions to work over weed that is about 1-2ft under the surface

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
So have you never heard of surface lures, particularly Crawlers. Propbaits/Buzzers can have their day, but if the weather's not rough ie-calm surface then I believe Crawlers are more productive overall. :)

madmatz

Reaction score
sure have heard of surface lures dek but with that many on sale these days its hard to choose

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
sure have heard of surface lures dek but with that many on sale these days its hard to choose

Matt, yeah you're right, there's a load out there, but if you view it in the context of weather conditions, as I said you'll need two types. One for rougher conditions, like when there's a chop on the water, in which case you'll want a prop bait, these are lures that incorporate a propellor either at the front of the lure, or one at each end of the lure. This type of lure functions better in conditions described.
The Crawlers, are lures that incorporate a dished vane at the nose of the lure. Jitterbug's being a prime example, you can also get Crawlers with small wings at each side, like the legendary Crazy Crawler. There are many derivatives of these two classics on a number of lure sites, both are excellent, I can vouch for that through personal experience. I'd strongly urge you to get one of each type, for the situation you describe in your original post. As you know I made my own for many years based around those patterns. Hope this helps. :)

terry m

Reaction score
I think you struggle to beat the Arbogast Jitterbug, the plopping sound that it creates seems to draw predators up out of the weed to investigate.

Give it a go.

philblakey

Reaction score
Softbaits are a favourite of mine, anything with a curly tail that'll fish shallow enough. Even better if the lure creates a "wake" on the surface, or at least you can make it "wake" when it suits.
Phil.
PS. Multi-jointed hard swimbaits too are good "wakebaits".

Last edited:

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
Heddon Zara Spooks are a good surface lure, worked in the 'walk the dog' style. Frogs can be good as well, especially bouyant ones that have tantalising trailing legs, also just about any floating lure retrieved slowly will remain on the surface or just sub surface and work, a favourite being the old Fox mega mouse as they shift a lot of water.
Have you tried light spoons, these will stay quite shallow and some such as the Kuusamo come with weedless double hooks, there's also buzzbaits which are similar to spinnerbaits but have a rotating prop instead of the usual blades, theses will bulge just under the surface on a fastish retreave.
Phil

Last edited:

madmatz

Reaction score
thanks for the tips lads seems theres quite a few to choose from but i think it wise to stick with the one until i have a good feel for how it works so i will be trying the old jitterbug! plip plop plip plop plip plop WALLOP! i think thats whats ment to happen :D

terry m

Reaction score
A pike launching itself vertically out of the water without warning,to engulf a surface lure is truly heart stopping stuff. No matter how many times I experience it, it still sends a massive surge of adrenaline around my body.