Rod downforce???

bankside

Reaction score
If a 16' match rod states that it weighs 290g and has a downforce
of 560g,what exactly does this figure mean!? Cheers.:confused:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm guessing that you are talking about a Drennan rod?
Drennan used to mark all their poles with a downforce rating and iirc they did the same with some rods. It's down to what the rod feels like at full length. It may only be 290g but due to the leverage exerted when held at full length it feels like 560g. Something along those line anyway.

Reaction score
The wording is a bit odd, but the 290g is its mass if applied at its centroid (centre of gravity). I think the 500+ figure is the apparent force if held at the handle due to the turning moment created by the loaf distributed along the length. Hope that makes sense.

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

On second thoughts. 560g is 1.232lb, so it could be its test curve. Ie the force required at the tip to bend it perpendicular to the blank.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
The wording is a bit odd, but the 290g is its mass if applied at its centroid (centre of gravity). I think the 500+ figure is the apparent force if held at the handle due to the turning moment created by the loaf distributed along the length. Hope that makes sense.

On second thoughts. 560g is 1.232lb, so it could be its test curve. Ie the force required at the tip to bend it perpendicular to the blank.

Aaah Cheers Corky I studied Mechanical Engineering at OND level before going into IT I liked the precision of it but a lot of it has gone now along with the rest of the eighties , now I finally understand what test curve really means.

bankside

Reaction score
Where did you read that, was it in the bumf or written on the rod?

Yeh its actually written on the rod,the 290g must be the total weight and I
can only pressume the 560g is the weight of the loaf at the end of the rod!!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

when you talk enginering you go over my head - as I said to Paul Boote - dumb it down for me:D

bankside

Reaction score
I think the 500+ figure is the apparent force if held at the handle due to the turning moment created by the loaf distributed along the length. Hope that makes sense.

I don't know if its a Warby's or a Kingsmill light................ffs here we go again...........:rolleyes:

Last edited:
A

alan whittington

Bankside,i would quickly take it back and get your money back,any company that gives spiel like that to sell a rod must be selling junk.;)