Fox Stratos FS 7000 ? Long Term Test

N

NomadPaul

Graham , do you know what the difference is between the 7000 and the 7000E....apart from the £30 price gap ? I was leaning towards getting a pair of the 7000E's for Bream and Tench fishing . Do you think the 7000 would suit this purpose ( when matched with 1.25/1.75lb TC rods )

Paul

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

The 7000 or 7000E will be fine. The 7000 will just feel a little smoother and will last longer.

<u>7000</u>

Fully adjustable Fox free spool

• Supplied with a spare aluminium spool

• Comes complete with two spool

reducers standard and minimiser for braid

and light lines

• 44 coils of line-lay per linear oscillation

• Micro line-lay adjustment

• Hex spool drive

• Slipper stealth clutch

• Supa-slow gear cycle

• Magnetik lube system

• Range casting clip

Technical

• 4.75:1 Gear Ratio

• Weight - 522g

• Ball bearings - 16

• Roller bearing – 1

<u>7000E</u>

• Approximately 84% scaling of the 10000

• Multi disk front drag

• 9 Ball Bearings

• Comes complete with a spare spool

• Two line reducers supplied for standard line,

fine lines and braid

• Graphite body and spools

• Full adjustable free spool facility

• Comes complete with single and double handle

• Supplied with protective cloth bag

Technical

• 4.75:1 Gear Ratio

• Weight - 412g

• Ball bearings - 9

• Roller bearing – 1

Twitcher

Reaction score
I've been using one of these reels for a few months now and the verdict is still out for me. As Graham states the line lay is superb. The reel is also very smooth in its operation which includes the clutch. I do however have a few niggles: <ul>[*]With the spool line reducers fitted, both spools then hold a different line capacity, which doesn’t help when trying to load the spool correctly including backing i.e. wind on 100 yards of braid followed by backing, then wind the whole lot onto the spare spool.[*]I find both handles (single and double) are on the small side and it does not aid the 'cranking' of the reel when playing good fish or continuously winding in heavy feeders.[*]Despite landing some nice Barbel with the reel, during one particular session on the Wye, I found when attempting to play fish hard with the anti reverse engaged, I would gain several turns of the handle only for the anti reverse not to engage and the gain was lost. This did only happen occasionally but was disconcerting none the less.[/list]

Currently I'm at the stage where do I buy a second or do I opt for a pair of Shimano XTEA's even though I hate rear drag reels (snatchy clutch syndrome)?

Neil

G

Graham Marsden (ACA)

Regarding the anti reverse I'd suggest you have a problem with your reel Twitcher. I have 3 of them and in over a year of using them have not had that happen to me. Take it back to your dealer and get it swapped.

njb51

Reaction score
[*]With the spool line reducers fitted, both spools then hold a different line capacity, which doesn’t help when trying to load the spool correctly including backing i.e. wind on 100 yards of braid followed by backing, then wind the whole lot onto the spare spool.

Take the spool line reducers off?!?!

Twitcher

Reaction score
That defeats the object of using less line. Note sure if I was clear in my original description. Without the reducers fitted both spools hold the same line capacity; however when fitted on BOTH spools the capacity on each spool is different, which is not good!

Gary Newman

Reaction score
I've had a set of the FS10000s and a couple of the FS7000s since before they were launched and they've been very good - even took the 10000s mahseer fishing and they stood up to it.
The 7000 is perfect for specimen fishing for species like, tench, bream and barbel.
There is a big difference between the 7000 and the 7000E.
The cheaper one actually feels a lot cheaper and more plasticy plus the clutch isn't as good - the more FS7000 has it built into the front of each spool which is why the spare spools are so heavy - and i wasn't that impressed with them. I'd go for the more expensive one every time as they are brilliant reels and after a lot of hard use i can't fault them - i even repolace my Shimanos with them, soemthing i never thought I'd do.

A

Albert Watkinson 2

i have the+7000e because it was extolled in the anglers mail to be a great reel.however twitcher does some interesting thoughts on this brand and he is near the mark.the jury is still out for me.
albert

R

Robert Woods

Albert,

I have two 7000E reels and happy with them up to now.

A

Albert Watkinson 2

robert .i dont dislike the reel but i thought twitcher put some points forward which i had not thought about.at first i did not come to terms with the bale arm.it could be me
albert

Jim Nicholson

Reaction score
Hello all, I bought a 7000e for barbel fishing.

A mistake I am afraid. The gear ratio is closer to 5.5 and both handles are too short making it feel very overgeared.

3 emails to fox didn't produce a handle from the larger reel to alleviate the problem.

The clutch is also not up to Okuma or Diawa standards.

So I will continue to use my Epix pros.

Just my tuppence worth?

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I have to agree with Jim on this one. I had the 7000's, 7000E's and also some 10000E's also.

The handles are too short (even the single handle) making it more of an effort to retrieve line when under load. The handle from the 10000 fitted into a 7000 would, to some extent reduce this but the shaft of the 10000 handle is too long as its designed for the wider body of the bigger reel.

I cut my losses, sold the reels and have gone back to Shimano GTE's and XTEA's. I feel more confident with these.

Below is another review of interest

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/4299

Jim Nicholson

Reaction score
It's not just me then Andy! Perhaps that is why you see so many for sale s/h.

A shame really , a fundamentaly good design ruined by bad attention to detail.

Iain Riley

Reaction score
HI all

All i can say is you lucky bunch of sods i dream of of a matching pair of 10000s.Although at the moment I use a pair of okuma undertakers and for a pair of 39.99 reels i can't find a falt with um exept a bit of the chrome fell off one of the frunt drag i would reccoend em to any one my mate even prefers them to his shimarnos

Iain

BIGMAN

Reaction score
I fish for Pike withFox 7000E's and I find them as good as any Shimano baitrunners

That I have used. For the price I will give them 10 out of 10 they are a very good

smooth reel that I would buy again if I ever need too.

Vinnie.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Surely the test of a decent reel is in its longevity?

Many of the cheaper reels will have long since expired when the more expensive ones are still in use.

BIGMAN

Reaction score
That is true

expensive reels can last longer. But I think the Fox 7000E will have a good life span.

They seem to be a well made reel.

But when a reel is old and tatty I think it's time for a new one anyway.

BASSETT

Reaction score
Would the 700e's be any good for carp fishing. coz i've benn looking for some new reels and i'm on a tight budget, alsotheir's so many avaliable i just can't decide

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

Bassett!!