Why oh why ????

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Why are the EA and local planners so secretive?

Very recently there have been rumors that there have been no fewer than three hydro schemes planned for the river Wear within Durham City ('City' - In truth it no bigger than a market town) but when enquiries were made of both the EA and Durham County Council planning dept I was told that they had no knowledge of applications, and if they had they could not release the information.

Next in the local weekly rag we see:

MULTI-million pound plans have been unveiled to secure and create up to 800 jobs by building offices and leisure facilities on the former Durham Wasps ice rink site.

A business consortium wants £27m invested in redeveloping the Freeman’s Reach ice rink site as a first step towards realising a vision to regenerate Durham City’s riverside under the Durham Riverside Renewal project.

Leaders want to build 8,000sq metres of high-quality, eco-friendly offices, a restaurant, cafe and kiosk aimed at tourists.

They say the plans would create one of the most carbon-friendly city centre developments anywhere in the UK.

The first phase would be occupied by National Savings and Investments (NS&I), which plans to move across the River Wear from Milburngate House – which is also set to be redeveloped.

A hydro-power water turbine would harness the power of the Wear to produce electricity.

Following phases would be let to other businesses.

The scheme would be delivered by a consortium led by Carillion Developments, Arlington Real Estate and Richardsons Capital LLP, which recently won the contract.

Allan Cook, managing director of Arlington Real Estate, said: "I am so proud that we have been selected to bring forward this new phase of regeneration in Durham which will be sympathetic to the historic environment and architecture of the area as well as provide new amenities and enhance the local economy

So much for local democracy and openness :mad:

For many years there was a hydro plant on the river at the above mentioned site, together with all the associated problems. From memory the then NRA was only too pleased when it was shut down. Low flows meant it hardly produced any electricity; migrating fish unable to ascend the fish passes (several within about 150 yds) and almost 24/7 'fish snatching' all led to severe headaches for the NRA and local anglers alike.

Why then are the same people (now under the banner of the environmentally friendly EA) trying to hide plans that will ruin what they themselves claim to be the best sea trout river in the country (and a fast recovering coarse fishery) AND, again according to the EA, the country's 2nd best salmon river.

If anyone reading this is from the North East get yourselves along to the EA's Fisheries Forum, Newcastle 20th June, to tell them of your anger at its apparent double dealing. Anyone requiring more info I'll forward on to your e-mail address.

Incidentally the ATr is hoping to have its own regional forums merged with the EA Forums, and appoint regional contacts for all hydro matters - not too sure how the EA react to that.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
What is fish snatching is that taking salmon from fish passes ? Never thought of that !

B

Berty

I really didn't need to read all your thread to know the answer John.

I'm a man of few words and my understanding came as soon as i saw the words multi million!

904_cannon

Reaction score
What is fish snatching is that taking salmon from fish passes ? Never thought of that !

Usually foul hooking fish - salmon. sea trout or any other fish - (with large weighted treble hooks) that congregate BELOW the fish passes when they are unable to ascend due to low/no flow, usually because the energy of the river is being ABSTRACTED by schemes such as hydro power.

Berty, Just trying to emphasise that although both the EA and DCC will not say that planning had been applied for the contactors seem to be very triumphant at being awarded the work AND there just seems to be an assumption that A hydro-power water turbine would harness the power of the Wear to produce electricity.

Sorry to disappoint them, but unless the river is in spate there is hardly enough flow in the river to power the lights of a pedal bike, hence the danger to migrating fish being left with no where to go.
Any lift in the river to cause the fish to run the river has long subsided by the time they reach Durham. That's why I posted on another thread that the EA staff would be better employed on fisheries protection than revenue collection. Some of these snatchers/ 'anglers' are taking up to 30-35 sea trout/salmon in just a few hours. Given that only a handful of EA staff are ever available to cover all the rivers from the Scottish border down to North York's any chance of these 'anglers' being caught 'in the act' are at best slight.

I'm not sure just what cost is put on a Wear/Tyne fish, but I recently read that every rod caught Tweed salmon is worth about £4000 to the local economy.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
How does hydro electric affect fish? The volume of water does not decrease. The flow slows down but, how does that affect the fish? Couldn't salmon/sea trout runs be designed so they could continue upstream. Don't they not run up rivers when they are low anyway?

Don't we all need some less dangerous less polluting forms of energy. Should fishing take a back seat to that sometimes?

I know little about this but, I would like to know a bit more so, enlightenment would help.

904_cannon

Reaction score
How does hydro electric affect fish? The volume of water does not decrease. The flow slows down but, how does that affect the fish? Couldn't salmon/sea trout runs be designed so they could continue upstream. Don't they not run up rivers when they are low anyway? I'm no Einstein but even I know extra flow cant just be 'magic'ed out of thin air, or even water

Don't we all need some less dangerous less polluting forms of energy. Should fishing take a back seat to that sometimes? Not everything that looks green is green.

I know little about this but, I would like to know a bit more so, enlightenment would help. (I'm getting tired of posting THIS link)

Short of compounding the river even further/higher there is no solution. IF that was to happen those responsible would have to answer to the Dean & Chapter. Flood a World Heritage site :D:D - Co Durham, STILL the land of the Prince Bishops

tuolumne fisher

Reaction score
gotta agree john that when summit is deemed as undeniably good, its shouted loud, reference job creation, but you notice its job creation, not career creation
and when its a bit grey, if it is not undeniably good, it slips in unnoticed

keith arthur announced on his radio show that his local mp, was supporting hydropower, and that he the mp, was unaware of any drawbacks
yeah right on, zak goldsmith mp can manage to look after his £2 billion pound fortune, but cant google boaters and hydropower or anglers and hydropower

keep at it buddy, and lets not let these scumbags weave their webs

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
zak goldsmith mp can manage to look after his £2 billion pound fortune, but cant google boaters and hydropower or anglers and hydropower

Young Zac sold his "The Ecologist" magazine for a very reasonable £1 the other day, I saw.