angling books

N

Nick King

today at a car boot sale,i found a book called"mr crabtree`s book of fishing for boys" i paid 50p for it.can anyone tell me anything about it?i dont think bernard vennebals wrote it but it uses what i presume is his material from the mr crabtree goes fishing book???incidently,i found a copy of "mr crabtree goes fishing"at a car boot sale about a year or so ago in the bottom of an old wicker basket--i paid 10p for the book!!!! a bargain or what....

R

Ron Clay

I have that book Nick. I covers all sorts of angling, especially sea fishing. A lot of it was written by Michael Barrington-Martin who was one of the best angling photographer journalists of the 50s and 60s.

You must treasure such books. They are probabley worth quite a bit today, especially if in good condition.

Barrington-Martin, what a most impressive and evocative name to possess.

Bit better than Clay or Marsden ennit?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
But did you know that both names originate from earthy things?

Clay is obvious - thick and muddy (no offence Ron!).

Marsden comes from a marsh in a clearing in a wood or forest (marsh - dene)

R

Ron Clay

Clay by the way comes from the Norse - Klei, meaning the earth or the soil. My family originated in Boston Lincs and way back were likely to have been Viking invaders.

There it is I'm another Hagar the Horrible!

D

Dave O'L

I picked up Bernard's 'The Piccolo Fishing Book' paper back published in 1981, a couple of years ago. In perfect condition.

It's done in a Mr Crabtree style but the characters are called Nick & David.

I hadn't heard of this book until I saw it & have always wondered how did it come about so long after Mr Crab, as surely the concept would have been a bit dated by 1981?

Anyone enlighten?