Drennan Series 7 13ft Competition Float Rod

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
When starting my fishing career again after a very long lay-off, this was the rod that a nice chap in Hinders (Swindon) recommended as an all-rounder. I explained my long abscence and a preference for float fishing. Didn't he do well?

I have used it for two seasons now and it has seen action on small commercials, club lakes and rivers. I have taken plenty of silvers which hardly show the rods ability. The largest fish to date was a 7lb tench from a local reservoir on a waggler, the rod performed perfectly. I regularly trot the BA with a stick float and have taken chub and tench to 3.5lb with ease.

I would disagree with the idea of this rod being hard work with numbers of small carp, but then I prefer to play my fish as opposed to 'bringing them in'. As I said earlier I had a long lay-off, from the days when fibreglass and split cane rods were the norm and so have dropped into the midst of the carbon revolution with relish. I must say that this rod definitely instills confidence in any situation I have put it to date.

W

will spencer

welcome back to angling mr git.

if,IF drennan made reels then we'd be looking at the ultimate tackle company.

drennan don't make sh!t,i use a lotof their tackle with confidence as do a lot of guys and gals here.

BarryC

Reaction score
Much like you grumpy I have just come back after nearly 40 years. I to bought a Drennan rod, a Series 7 carp power float for use with carp to mid doubles but also to give sport with Tench Bream Crucians etc.

I love it.

Morespiders

Reaction score
I have a Drennan series 7 Puddlechucker 12ft 6ins for trotting for chubb and barbel, also had carp to 18lbs on it Drennan stuff wont let you down.

Phil Lambert

Reaction score
Having had one of these for two years now I have to agree with all that's been said in it's praise. I disagree, however, with Grumpy Git. This rod is not a tool for commercials and there are many stepped up float rods much more suitable for bagging work.

Despite having a Daiwa Spectron 13ft Match which set me back more than double the price of the Drennan - it always seems to be the Drennan I pick for light to medium float work. It's a joy to use and, not only that, it has a FULL cork handle and not a sign of that bloody awful neoprene or duplon or whatever it is ('comfortable Duplon handle' say the ads but what they are really doing iscutting costs and giving us second best).