Flying fish

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

Occasionally I'll catch a bream that will jump out of the water in an attempt to shed the hook, the only other fish I've had do this is trout.

Do any other fresh water fish do this?

dangermouse

Reaction score
Saw ide doing it at the pond I was on the other week. No idea if that`s their usual behaviour though.

seksee

Reaction score
So strange - I had a bream do exactly the same with me last week (and also some month back) jumped out of the water like a marlin... But then, as bream always do, It gave up very quickly, accepted its fate and came in without a fight...

But I too have only had this happen with bream? Strange considering they usually give the worst fight of all species...

sam vimes

Reaction score
I had a double figure carp do it to me a week or two ago. It was hooked in clear shallow water and I saw the whole magnificent episode from the moment of hooking to it totally breaking the surface. I don't recall seeing that before from a carp though I have seen pike, trout, bream, roach and the occasional chub do it on being hooked.

little oik

Reaction score
I also had a carp do it to me a few weeks ago .Did a good 3 ft in tail walking immediately after I hooked it and that was in about 5ft of water at just over depth .

Reaction score
A swan on the Trent at Collingham did quite a bit of tail walking.

Duck and seagull at Damflask. The seagull took to the air, so I played it in a brought it to the ground. Hooked it in the scissors. It wasn't to happy I can tell you.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I had a juvenile moorhen (i think thats what it was) take a sweetcorn bait fished on the bottom in about 5ft of water under a float once. Normal tench bite, but unexpected result - hadnt even noticed any birds in the vicinity.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Mainly skimmers that have done this for me , but recently 2 carp have done it - jumped completely clear of the water both within the last month or so , maybe they think the hook is a parasite ?

skullsat

Reaction score
Mainly skimmers that have done this for me , but recently 2 carp have done it - jumped completely clear of the water both within the last month or so , maybe they think the hook is a parasite ?

i've had the same mainly with skimmers(and a few carp),then they just admit defeat.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I’ve had carp leap when surface or shallow hooked (probably from surprise), Snotties up in the water, Pike doing their tail walking bit and of course the game fish.
Jerry

terry m

Reaction score
Pike are the absolute mastersat this. Apart from Esox and game fish I have not experienced this with other frshwater species - including bream.

A

alan whittington

I had a 3lb bream leap out of the water on Saturday(and have had many do it before),this is no ordinary jump up in the air,this is hurtling over a foot out of the water and covering around 4-5ft in distance,not once but four times,leaving me with the feeling i'd just flown a kite.:)
It always happens in spring,so i wonder if its a spawning induced thing.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
At this time of year it may well be a 'parasite infected' leap, the fish is hooked, feels a 'sensation', thinks it's a parasite, leaps out of the water to free itself of said parasite.

Anyone who has a garden pond see's this behaviour at the start of the season when fish are most vulnerable to parasitic attack.