Net for carp....

bankside

Reaction score
Please excuse me putting this here but there seems to be more viewers
in this section atm.Anyways do you guys think I would be out of order
to use a Spro predator rubberised landing net with a 30" dia to land
carp up to 20lb,its about 48" deep or do you think its use may be frowned
upon by the carpers.I only fish for them now and again so would be interested in your views.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
It sounds fine. I can't imagine any angler complaining about it. It's better than anything **** Walker used :)

terry m

Reaction score
I use a rubberised Korum net for predator fishing - you don't get trbles hooked up in the mesh like with normal mesh - and it is fine. But I am afraid that I can see some members of the carping fraternity bemoaning the harder rubberised mesh.

bankside

Reaction score
Are you worried it may be too small or too big?

Its just carpers always seem to have those bloody big 42" triangular nets
with spreader blocks or whatever and I don't want any grief for using a 30"
net.

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:28 ----------

I use a rubberised Korum net for predator fishing - you don't get trbles hooked up in the mesh like with normal mesh - and it is fine. But I am afraid that I can see some members of the carping fraternity bemoaning the harder rubberised mesh.

Yeh thats a good point,any other thoughts?

Mind you I use rubberised nets for all my coarse fishing be it smaller carp or chub/barbel.

Last edited:

bub81

Reaction score
I use a 36'' korum net which is very 'shallow' for fish up to 20lb and I often think landing the livelier fish would be easier with a slightly bigger net. You won't damage them with yours, but you may have messier landings.

I can't stand the deep carp nets, nothing but trouble!

dell

Reaction score
i use a 42" landing net for both carp and predators and in all honesty, the carp i've caught (to 14lb+) have been dwarfed by the net! in my opinion, its far too large. although the fish cant flip out of it, it does need to be 'gathered' up before lifting the fish as its so deep.
to me, something smaller (the size you've suggested) would be far more practical for fish upto 20lb, but im no expert so im sure someone will disagree with me that has more experience lol
you just have to take into account the size of the largest fish in the water your fishing, as there is always a chance that may be the fish that takes the bait and you dont want to be undergunned for the fishes sake and for your sake (the one that got away!)
as i understand it, rubberised nets are always better for the fish welfare and they dont tend to damage scales and as mentioned previously hooks tend not to get caught and wrapped up in the net so easily.
im not a "carper" but i can safely say i wouldnt bat an eyelid at someone using the size of net youve described.
hope that helps, just my opinion :)
Dell

noknot

Reaction score
Years ago the "standard" Carp net was 36" so I would say you will be OK.

However I've not seen your net.........

terry m

Reaction score
I am not sure that any evidence exists that demonstrates that rubberised nets are less damaging to scales on fish - or more damaging for that matter!

It is all about perception and as the OP was in relation to "...being frowned upon..." there is a fair chance that, rightly or wrongly a few brows may be furrowed!

BarryC

Reaction score
Sounds fine to me.
Just watch out that some fishery rules require a 42 inch net, even though the waters only hold fish to high doubles.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Most people I see with 42" nets have to get someone to hold it and net the fish. I would rather have a small net and a long handle and do it myself.
And I wouldn't give a flying fook what anyone else thought...

dangermouse

Reaction score
A few places near me have a minimum net size of 36" but as long as you`re not fishing anyware that has that rule or similar I don`t see any problem. As for other people`s opinions, I`m with Peter.

dezza

Reaction score
The correct shaped net for any big fish is round or slightly pear shaped - "like a Mr Crabtree net".

The only possible advantage of a triangular net, especially those horrid monstrosities with a draw string, is that the net can be folded up and carried without too much trouble. But wielding such nets is extremely difficult with one hand.

I have landed catfish over 40 lbs with a 30" round net with a 4 foot deep mesh with no problem at all.

There is room here for innovation. I think a fortune awaits the person who can design a large round net that will fold up and fit into a holdall.

In the USA they use large round nets, about 35 inches in diameter to land large muskellunge that can be over 50 inches long.

terry m

Reaction score
I am sure that you could land a 2lb roach in a tea mug if you tried hard enough, but why would you?

Would you really want to risk either losing the fish of a lifetime, or even damaging it just to prove a point?

You just may be trying to net it in the pitch darkess, that will make things immeasurably more difficult.

flightliner

Reaction score
Spot on Sean, and Mr Crabtree used one 40 years ago....
Along with thousands of south yorkshire anglers on fenland back in the fifties and sixties.
Simple idea, you see many a "Barbel " net thats ideal till it comes to transporting them, then they can be irksome.
All it takes to make them so much more buyable is the two strategically placed joints.