Baggin Waggler Set Up

Reaction score
This is a method I would like to try this year.

How is the baggin waggler set up onthe main line?

I have read that it should be set up using the 'loop method' but substituting the waggler in place of the feeder. Surely this could lead to a fish dragging a float round in the event of a mainline break???

Is it now more common to use rubber float stops to attach the float?

Is a hair rig used or a plain hook?

Are drop shot used or is the bait allowed to fall freely?

Is the hook bait burried in the groundbait ball or left free?

Could someone add the typical set ups to the rigs library?

F

Frothey

I have read that it should be set up using the 'loop method' but substituting the waggler in place of the feeder. Surely this could lead to a fish dragging a float round in the event of a mainline break???

Yes

Is it now more common to use rubber float stops to attach the float?

Thats how I do it

Is a hair rig used or a plain hook?

Either, but if you get them competing hard, you might get the odd foul hook

Are drop shot used or is the bait allowed to fall freely?

Fall freely with the rest of the bait

Is the hook bait burried in the groundbait ball or left free?

I bury, but just so as it doesnt tangle. You usually use fairly short hooklengths anyway.

B.JOHN

Reaction score
Hi Matt I've been looking at trying the 'baggin waggler' also but was told it would be better in the warmer months when the fish are feeding 'up' in the water more often.

Reaction score
They have been using them sinking baggin wagglers for a while now too, have a look at them/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

B

bobby evo

try usng a poly ball at the top of the wagler when hair rigging pellets they automaticaly hook themselves and no need to strike just lift into the fish

Reaction score
Frothey

Ive fished the baggin waggler a number of times and always used the loop rig and never has any problems but if there is a safer rig out there I would prefer to use it and I was thinking how would you use the rubber float stops within the rig.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
To set up the bagging waggler you can put onto the line a and put two of these rubber sliding float stops one ach side of the bagging waggler. This will lock it in place but allow the lie to come loose if you lose the float. Next tie a loop in you main line after the float and connect a lenght of Drennan double stretch hooklenght. Sat 8 lb BS. Now tie a small size 12 Korda Wide gape or a size 10 Gardner Mugger with a knotless knott. and attach a small bait 8mm or 6mm boiles are good.

The ground bait should only last on the cage for about 30-45 seconds and you should be recasting every 2-3 minuites.
mustad-sliding-float-stops.jpg

Reaction score
Thats what I thought Frothey meant, but even with two of the sliding float stops each side of the float I would imagine that the weight of the waggler (with groundbait) would move the float stops. Does this not happen???

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Yes it does a little but the rubber move to the hook lenght knot on the cast and stop there

Reaction score
OK im with you, I can see where your coming from.

The only thing is that on some venues such as Boddington and Drayton you need to vary your depths, usually anything from 18 inches to 3.5 feet

Reaction score
Yes you could do but are you not making it a fixed set up then. The idea behind the loop rig is that when you lift into a bite you lift into the fish rather than the float.

When its a fixed set up you will lift into the float and hence there is more risk of a crack off albeit then the fish can shake loose the float.

Reaction score
As well a the float stops, what about adding a stop shot squeezed onto a 1cm length of fine silicon tube to protect the line? This may create a more solid stop, but can be loosened and moved to alter the depth.

Reaction score
Yes you could do but are you not making it a fixed set up then

What if the stops were placed about 6" apart?

I have fished a 'pole waggler'similar this on long pole/long line for tench. The waggler was set between two stop knots 6" apart to aid contact during the strike.

Reaction score
One to chat about at the teach in, I would be interested in the other options available as its a method that im not particlarly adept at.

Reaction score
Me too. I think once the set up is sorted then its a case of regular feeding and if rthe fish are there then......how hard can it be......?

I think if the fish are on then its a case of ow much groundbait can you afford?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Guys you should not need to strike at the bites you see on the float the system should work like a method feeder so the fish hooks themselves aginst the weight of the float.

And with such a heavy load you are casting why are you not using heavy line to cope with the weight of the float on the cast. Modern 10lb-12lb line is low diameter but has a very high breaking strain for its rating. The heavy main line in conjunction with a fine hhoklenght should give you the saftey margin you need unlees you main line is damaged and therfore weakend. If this is the case and you cayy on fishing with weakened line then you are just irresponcable.