old boilies

M

Margot Twine

Having not been coarse fishing since Nov. I decided to clear out my tackle box and found several opened bags of boilies.Will they be any good still if not for hookbait chopped up In groundbait? If not what is the shelf life for opened bags or should they be frozen if they are not going to be used for awhile?

K

Kevan Busby

Hi Margot, Interesting question that was recently raised in one of the Carp monthlies. Basically the manufacturer's do not put a "best before" or "use by date" on shelf life (or frozen) boilies. The safest policy for your opened boilies is to bin them. If you bring a half used bag back from a session then freezing is ok but I would only subject a pack of boilies to freezing once. I'm sure others may have some interesting comments on this subject.

C

Carp Angler

and how long would you keep a tub of pop-ups for?

I see no problem in keeping them for hookbaits.

K

Kevan Busby

Good question Carp Angler. Again i've got nothing to go on but as a general rule a pot of 50 usually lasts me 2 months so I don't see a problem with them going stale. Any advice from those of you who make the stuff?

R

Rob Brownfield

I've used Nash boillies that have been in an opened bag in a rucksack for 2 years and caught on them!! If there is no mouls etc..then use them... :)

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Providing they have been stored in dry place and show no signs of mould they will be fine.

C

Cakey

I read somewhere that old boilies are sometimes better than new boilies the carp think they have been round longer so think they are safer.
Not bad for a 3sec memory

L

Laurie Harper

I cleared the freezer and put a load out on the bird table recently. They went mad for them.

J

Jim Holland

i,m fishing a local lake with a clay bottom [i know go and see a doctor] any advise on what leads to use to stop them sinking [useing 1oz at the moment but can,t cast very far in this wind]

K

Kevan Busby

Jim, try some of the dumpy pear leads that are available, by experimenting with the weight you can get the lead to partially sink into the clay and create a 'bolt-rig' effect, this method has proved very effective on one of my waters.