Bargain tackle

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I have just been flicking through the argos and was pleasantly suprised to see we now have ten pages all to ourselves which is surely a good thing for angling ,having tackle available too buy on every high street.Anyway the point I was getting to was the bargain price of some of the stuff, 5m pole with everything including net 17.99 a carp rod and reel 14.99 with line ,a nice little 11 foot ledger rod in the old style 9.79,landing nets 6.99, unbeleivable prices .
Also worth a mention are used tackle or dragon carp I have used quite a few of their items over the years including £10 carp rods and £15 barbel rod also of note is their rig wallets and bait buckets as they have all stood the battering I give them ,I know you don't get the best available but for the price it certainly does do a job ,three cheers for bargain tackle!!!!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
I have had some tackle from the cheapy companies in the past. All i can say is that if you only want a rod etc for the odd trip then they are worth the money. Would not like to use them every week though.

Got a lovely little badger rod with a subscription a couple of years ago thats great for small lures or for small kids to use. That as come in very handy over the years.

barry dix

Reaction score
I bought some pole rigs from Argos but took them straight back they looked rubbish.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Glad too see I am not on my own in seeing past the price tag on some of this gear ,too many knock it without actually using them,I am after a sea rod for the odd trip on the beaches and I shall look no further than the ten pound dragon carp beach caster.

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
virtually all my rods come from argos or dragon carp, or the local tackle shop, which sells a lot of the same stuff as dragon carp, i can'tafford / feel the need to spend a fortune on tackle.

my old man boughtme that zebco carp starter package, (99.99 from argos), for my birthday last year, it's not perfect, but neither's my fishing, and i generally outfish my mates who have more expensive gear (we're pretty much beginners, only been fishing couple of years). got my pb carp on one of these at 22lb.

i have a10ft waggler and an 11ft6 quivertip/barbel rod (1.75lb tc) from dragon carp. the quiver,bought it at donny dome for £10, quite effective, and the little waggler has had carp on it to 13lb, which i didn't think it would take, butit sure was fun.that was £10 too.

i have cheap reels from them as well, again, i've used better, but i catch enough fish to keep me happy.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that i don't think spending £100 a rod will catch me more fish, so i don't spend it.

Gav, i've got that beachcaster as well, i won't use it enough to spend more than a tenner on a sea rod, lol.http://tinyurl.com/ytglhp

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Barry I didn't think the pole floats were particulalry good value either but I have not seen them up close.
Speci do you mean the line,float and hooks as they seem to have improved a bit in that department.
Ben a man from my own heart, they certainly do the job as you say and I agree spending a fortune does not gurantee success,its at the end of the line were it all happens.Cant go wrong for a tenner mate.

BarryC

Reaction score
Dont forget ebay got a lovely Daiwa 13ft float rod for £6+£6 post and packing. Well used but good condition.

alan

Reaction score
my dearest rod that i brought was less then £50 with a reel thrown in.

4 RT rods, 3 RT reels, 2 badger reels, 2 cheapo carp rods, 1 shaky reel. i can cast as far as most others, i can catch the same fish as others, and my rods have lasted a few years, my sea rods take a lot of abuse and are still going strong.

Reaction score
argos use to do a ace landing net handle i think it came with a net i still use mine but its getting a little stiff i would love to buy another one

Specihunter

Reaction score
it was a few years back but i saw a kid fishing with an argos set which had barbed hooks odd and sods but a very small landing net plus what about the after service.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Whats wrong with barbed hooks Specci ?,on second thoughts lets not get into that old chestnut.Most of the stuff is named so I am sure you could still contact the manufacturer -maker.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Horse for course

Fishing the odd day or 2 then you can beat cheap gear

or if you fish regular but not for carp - then a cheap £20 carp rod is fine - you can upi grade later if you wish

but for those who fish every weekend then buy decent gear

alan

Reaction score
Speci, all argos stuff has a 12month warranty, keep the receipt and just take it back.

my mate brought their cheap alarms while on offer, after 9 months he dropped them in the lake, fished them out and they didn't sound right. he took them back and the swapped them, no questions asked.

i broke the polarised glasses they sell,again i swapped them for new with out a problem.

Specihunter

Reaction score
i must admit there is some good rods and reels but i would be careful with some of the kits

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Why are they dangerous Specci ,what you not telling us ,have they got criminal records.