Spodding

Ben Lee

Reaction score
is it worth buying a small spod to chuck out a few pints of maggots say around a margin at about 20 feet out or is there a better more accurate method? and can i use a small spod with my 2.5lb test curve carp rod?

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

The rod would be okay for a pocket rocket spod.

Alternatively, put the maggots in small balls of groundbait for that distance, and ball them in by hand.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
You can get a product called sticky mag that will stick the maggots together in a tight ball which breaks down once on the botton that will get you bait out fast and accurate. Horlics also does the same thing.

Ben Lee

Reaction score
ok ill look round for it /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Ben

Horlics - and sticky mag both do the same job with maggots but don't mix them up when making a bed time drink

F

Frothey

one thing i've been doing when fishing maggots and wormsis to make a sloppy mud mixture up and put the maggots in it before spodding - that way you get a cloud as if somethings been rooting around the bottom without artificial groundbait type smells to it - can work well in clear water.

B

Bully

In summer I would use dead maggots, not sure what others think, especially in winter.

The Monk

Reaction score
also try a throwing stick or one of those things you screw onto the end of a landing net pole, a spoon thrower or wahtever they are called, like a large black plastic cup

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Bully I will ofetn use dead maggots however it is important to kill the maggots carfully so they dont loose there colour and go all limp. I found freezing them work best

F

Frothey

however it is important to kill the maggots carfully so they dont loose there colour and go all limp.

Why?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Frothey you dont eat limp and soggy chips ?. No sorry you do Ive been told, by Cakey. Presentation is the key word here.

F

Frothey

do carp give a toss though? they still turn over harvested bloodworm beds...... maggots aren't really natural to a carp either, so how do they know?

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Good question I just havent quite got the abillity to talk to carp just yet. But if it gives me more confidence and it isnt harming the fish or anyone else well I am happy to fish with them. I would say that 99% of what we regularly chuck at carp is not natural to them. But they still get caught natural/healthy/or not as the case may be such is the mystery of carp fishing. LOL

F

Frothey

i used to get paranoid about stuff like that until i forced my self to try things i wasn't confident (for no real reason)...... and you realise that it doesn't really make a difference. I'd rather use live maggots than dead summer or winter, but then i'll happily use chopped worms as well.

P

Peter Jacobs (ACA, SAA, CA)

If it is only 20 feet or so then why not just use a catapult with a decent sized pouch? The disturbance from a spod at close range is not necessary, in my humble opinion.

As to Sticky-mag, it is a great product and I've been using it for years. Top tip is not to get the maggots too wet, all you need it to wet your palm and roll it over a tray of maggots, then sparsely sprinkle the Sticky-mag over the top and gently mix.
Horlicks is almost as good, but my experience is that it needs a lot of water (comparatively) to get the right mix.

And I'd agree with Frothey regarding the use of live maggot over dead ones.

B

Baz (Angel of the North)

Throw a small handfull of live maggots into the margins and watch what happens.

On waters with a sandy lake bed, the maggots don't bury themselves anyway. Maybe it all depends on what the lake bed is made up of. And what does it matter anyway? Appart from giving one or two of us confidence that they are still visible to the fish.

Matty C

Reaction score
the thing that alot of people are preoccupied with i think is that you are using maggots i would presume, to give the carp something as close to naturalas one can get, in which case, it is very natural for carp to root around in silt and sift out bloodworm and other such creatures.. does it matter a great deal if the maggots wriggle a bit under the surface, and maybe even the maggots on the maggot clip ? perhaps they would feed more confidently having to root around for them..

perhaps it might be worth mixing dead ones with live ones, so theres some on the top for the carp to get started with, then live ones which have wriggled in a little bit to get them munching through silt ?

carp fishing is full of quandries.. thats why its so fun.. if it was easy, it would be called catching.

incidently, as Frothy has done, yesterday I went out on the river chubbing, only taking bread mash and half a loaf as I thought the river looked perfect for it, but never having fished with bread before as i was never confident in it staying on the hook.. after a slow start and moving swims a few times, I caught 3 chub inside an hour n half, and a new pb of 5lb 2oz.. just shows that it is very important to try new things, and get over fears of using them.. you can have all the best gear in the world, but our best asset to catch fish is our brains, and the more methods you know, and more things youve tried, the more chance you have of catching them I think..