Clive Gammon

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Dead at 83.

Clive Gammon Obituary - Sea Fishing and Sea Angling Online

I met him twice, the first as a teenager on the River Towy in the 1970s, me coming off the river after a night after sea-trout, he arriving with a pal for the early morning shift after salmon; then, years later, in 1989 or 1990, at a very posh, small private London West End hotel at which he was staying courtesy of the American "Sports Illustrated" magazine. We chatted over drinks in the small bar, he doing three doubles to my half of lager, then had dinner, at which, I dimly remember, there was wine......

Very fine writer.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It was at that liquid London dinner he showed me his just-published-in-The-States "Good Place", thanking me for giving Sundar Raj (with whom Gammon had recently fished and had written about in the book) a job in 1980 setting up the wildlife and fishing camps on the South Indian Cauvery.

nocatch

Reaction score
"I know a good place" - informative, descriptive - typical of Clive.

RIP - missed by many.

Tight lines wherever you are.

Mike

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Probably one of the 3 best angling books ever written. I never met Clive but did get to speak to him a few times on the phone when I editing another site. What a legend...
If you are relatively new to fishing and don't know his stuff, some of his articles are on the net:
www.fishing.co.uk

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Click authors and select his name.

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

By the way - that is a static site which hasn't been updated for a decade so don't get too excited!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Actors Richard Burton and Anthony Hopkins (Port Talbot boys)...

Poets Dylan Thomas and Vernon Watkins (Swansea boys)...

South Wales produced some raw talent.

You should have fished (and very briefly tried to drink) with some of their unsung Anglers as I once did!

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Sad news indeed. Probably my favourite angling writer, from reading his articles inAngling in my youth to I Know a Good Place. He rather dropped off the radar of UK anglers when he moved to the USA

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Off the radar of Brits, but not of Americans.

I remember an article by Brian Harris, editor of Angling Magazine in the late 1960s and '70s, titled "On The Going of Gammon", about his move to The States as a feature writer for Sports Illustrated. I am pretty sure that it went along the lines of: "Their gain, our considerable loss".

Hardly surprising. In those days, British fishing mags paid about £20 to £30 for an article (I am still owed for three that I did in the early to mid 1980s for one publisher who had a habit of declaring himself insolvent / winding up mags then launching new ones). To use supermodel-speak, not worth getting out of bed (or lifting a pen) for.

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Clive Gammon was the finest of angling writers; RIP.

The US angling fraternity certainly gained from our "loss". Several like minded individuals I worked with on the West Coast were big fans of his writing. They often described his writings as so different from their normal home grown writers.

A

alan whittington

A real loss to angling writing,Clive could make a rough day at sea seem a total joy,i couldnt wait to read his articles every month,RIP.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you all please try to keep your comments 'on topic'

It would be a shame to have to close another RIP thread because personalities get in the way . . . . . again

red creel

Reaction score
Very sad news one of Clive's books is on my bookshelf as i type out this reply.

A Tide of Fish...its one of my all time favourite angling books, even though the subject matter of bass fishing on the Gower was pretty remote to my own fishing as a kid.I inherited the book from my late father and never tire of leafing through it from time to time.

R.I.P. Clive

Reaction score
Ok have decided to act - only posts specifically reflecting the high regard and sad loss of Clive Gammon now remain.

keep it like that...and sorry if I've missed any nuanced post and let it slip by or equally deleted a respectful one..but it is midnight and I'm fishing at 5.00 am