Using a Centrepin Reel

BarryC

Reaction score
Nice one Chubber

I have just started using a centrpin. We dont have any rivers down here in Cornwall but I use mine on small pools fishing no more than a couple of rod lengths out. I have one for carp a mordex merlin loaded with 6lb line and a Speedia that I use for smaller species with 3lb line.

I love the feel and control that I have over the line and the float.

Looking forward to the summer to try and get some carp off the top in the margins.

Not the traditional use for a centrpin but still great fun.

Trisantona

Reaction score
Always nice to read about pins,some really nice ones being made nowadays as people seem prepared to pay a decent price,(an Adcock Stanton just sold on ebay for £147.00 which is amazing as Tim Aplin is selling them brand new for £125.00.!).love to read the various opinions as really it's each to their own. now do i add an emoticon or not,might upset the purists.../forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

honslow

Reaction score
Good work that man. Nice collection. I've got a Wilson Heritage. Nice piece.

It's perfectly possible to cast a 3oz lead 30 yards with a 'pin. You just have to practice and put up with a shed-load of frustration until you get the knack.

I accosted Bob James at the Game Fair one year and basically made him teach me whether he wanted to or not (I don't think he did really - reckon he'd much ratherhave shown another five-year-old out of the crowdand got me to book a lesson with him!). Have to hand it to him, in five minutes he managed to successfullyget meWallis casting using an ounce feeder. If I'd tried to figure it out myself the 'pin would have ended up on the bottom of the river ages ago!

Andy M

Reaction score
OK putting aside for the moment reels in the £125 bracket, what would be a good reel to buy for a wannabe pin user?

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

you can get a new okuma sheffield for that price or maybe a kennet or a good quality second hand reel. the sheffield is the middle top in the picture.

honslow

Reaction score
Allcock's Match off Ebay (bottom right I think).

BarryC

Reaction score
Total Fishing Gear do a good looking job at £99.99.

I enjoy the fun of the ebay circus ,doing a bit of homework and picking up a little knowledge on the way. I also getfun from using older tackle and keeping it away from the polish and show people.

Andy M

Reaction score
Dear Friends, I said putting aside the £125 bracket! How about £50 and don't worry about Tom, ideas below or above (a bit) are welcome.

B

Bob "chubber"Lancaster (ACA)

there are loads of reels on ebay you can get for £50 or £60 like the two bottom left in picture :ie youngs trudex or rapidexmaybe a mordex if your lucky.basicly any pin will do you to start with as long as it spins well and in clean condition. have a look at these two there in your price range althought the alvey is made by shakespere and quite cheap it doe's have a side cast mechanism that allows you to cast a long way and its cheap.ebay 200197164473 and the okuma aventa 290202732575

Trisantona

Reaction score
Shakespeare Lincoln,made by alvey in Auss..good choice, also Leeds ,Avon Royal, wouldn't recommend Mordex Merlin as a bit heavy spool and just a cheap copy of an Aerial.

BarryC

Reaction score
My Mordex Merlin cost around £30 and my Speedia which is in superb condition was £46 + £5 postage etc. both on ebay.

Theres plenty of older good usable pins there just be sensible. Check sellers feedback,zoom the pictures and ask about anything that looks iffy. If theres no pictures or poor ones I would leave alone.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
AS ever if anyone wants to learn how to wallis cast pm me and sort out a time and venue

Peter Rothman

Reaction score
I love fishing with the pin and probably use one for 80 - 90% of my fishing. I agree with Bob, they are useable for the majority of styles, obviously not at any great range, and they are great fun. Playing a large fish is a different experience altogether, especially when you feel that run through your thumb as you yourself become the clutch! (If that makes any sense!!)

Weight is very important. My first pin was an Avon mark IV or something. It was made of some kind of plastic and I didn't use it very successfully. These were back in the Mitchell Match days and this took over. My first 'proper' pin was an Arnold Kingpin. A great reel, but a little heavy for troting for any length of time. When holding the reel for trotting it is balance of rod and reel that is crucial. I now use it solely for lakes - heavier line for tench or carp on the float or near in freelining and it's fantastic for that. A few years ago I bought a lighter model (Youngs Purist) as a Christmas pressie for myself. It's great.

The other time when I find fishing the pin is difficult, apart from strong winds, is in wet weather. I find that that the extra friction of wet line through the rings makes it hard for the line to pull through freely.

Trisantona

Reaction score
I think the cracks spray the rod with Johnsons furniture polish,also give the rod a sharp tap with the heel of your hand just before casting./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
In the rain, it can help to put the reel on 90 degrees out of line with the rings, so the reel is flat and the rings, vertical. (True pins only (bearing reels run best when vertical), and only possible with sliding collar reel fittings... or dolly butts).

Keith M

Reaction score
Greatarticle. I love usinga Pin when longtrotting.

I think that some anglers just regard the pin as an out of date old codgers method but I think that this couldn't be more wrong;theymay have tried it andpossibly failedto come to terms with it, but it's well worth being shown whatyou are missingby a good pin angler (like Alan Roe etc.); and it is an eye opener when you realise how many different ways you can alter the way the bait behaves when trotting close in; just with your thumb, and how much fun the pin can be to use once you have learnt the intricacies of usingthem.

I know it's horses for courses and it doesn't suit everyone but as a method I love it.

Peter Rothman

Reaction score
Thanks Alan. I'll try that but if the rain keeps on I'll just pack up and go home!