Union canal apsley! Help for a canal virgin!

fisherboy

Reaction score
I am fishing the Union Canal Apsley on Sunday for my club match. I am a Canal virgin! What is the best bait? I always bag up on Luncheon Meat with Preditor Plus on our lakes! Where are the best spots? I have read Canal bends and Barges plus the usual features! I was thinking my usual bait plus small pellet and maggots/Castors! HELP!!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You don't necessarily get the best spot in a match.
Fish as light as you dare and go for anything that swims...
Good luck...

skullsat

Reaction score
in a match you wont always get a good peg,but maggots,casters,worms might save your day and fish light,good luck with the match.

A

alan whittington

Mate,you've picked a very different venue to your norm,i would say 1 pint of squatts,half a pint of pinkies,half a pint of casters and maybe a pot of worms,feed squatts 10-20 near and far side of the cut every cast,fishing pinkie or squatt on a 22/24 fine wire hook,when fishing this way it often pays to feed thumbnail sized balls of sloppy groundbait occasionally,if you have a feature,or think bigger fish are present feed 8-15 casters reasonably regularly,fishing mainly one,but possibly two on an 18 but more likely 20 hook,hope this helps.

nicepix

Reaction score
The thing to remember about most canals is that there are no shallows and few deep spots. The bank goes straight down vertically to the bottom and the bottom is usually flat.

This means that bigger fish often lurk right next to the bank as that is the biggest feature.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Surely there is a deeper track in the middle where most boats pass ? And a shallower region either side ? Hence the term fishing down the track

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
The canal at Apsley is a constantly flowing pound and matches are usually won with bags of chublets, roach and the odd bonus chub or big perch.The last match I fished there I used a 6m whip and trotted down the track with pinkies.
I also caught on the far shelf with the pole. If you have a barge moored on the opposite bank try waggler down the side of the boat.