"Swim" as a noun.

dezza

Reaction score
To my knowledge. it is only we anglers who use the word "swim", as a noun, and most times we mean it as the bit of water we are fishing, whether that water is in lake or river.

Many years ago there was a bit of a debate between a few top anglers, many of which stated that "swim" referred to the water you were fishing in a river. The water you were fishing in a lake or other still water should be called a "pitch".

But today we tend to call many fishing spots - swims. Some of us call them - "pegs", a term I truly detest, which seems to infer that you are obliged to stay pegged and not to move.

Fred J Taylor's first book was called "Favourite Swims" - and stillwater pitches.

Interesting isn't it?

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Some of us call them - "pegs", a term I truly detest, which seems to infer that you are obliged to stay pegged and not to move.

I would have thought that was self explanatory Ron, from match fishing days when 'swims' were 'pegged out', (numbered), , and you were obliged to fish within the boundary of your peg, AND, not move .

dezza

Reaction score
I would have thought that was self explanatory Ron, from match fishing days when 'swims' were 'pegged out', (numbered), , and you were obliged to fish within the boundary of your peg, AND, not move .

That's probably why I have never been a match fisherman.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Many rivers and stillwaters, even stretches that are rarely match fished, are "pegs". They are pegged with permanent numbered markers. It's not really a shock that many of us refer to a "peg", regardless of whether we're match anglers of not. Any notion that a non-match angler is somehow tied to a peg is nonesense.

I would quite happily walk to a peg then fish the swim there. Using either term is not mutually exclusive. However, regardless of whether or not I've used a tent or bivvy, I will never refer to a fishing spot as a pitch.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
A "peg" denotes where a "swim" can be fished from (or must be fished from in match terms).

Never, ever heard or seen that combination referred to as a "pitch" except by long stay anglers using bivvys.

little oik

Reaction score
I wonder what people call these new fangled Holiday chalets that are springing up that have decking that you can fish from 3 or 4 foot away from the french doors .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's not forget either that the 'great man' himself entitled one of his books (actually an anthology of his Angling Times articles) publised in 1959 "Walker's Pitch" as well.

I think most modern anglers today refer to a 'swim' or a 'peg' if in a match.

Personally I've never lost any sleep over whatever its called providing of course that there is fish-holding water in front of it LOL